11. Budding Romance

"So... I was thinking," Lake began hesitantly. Min-Jun who walked beside her, holding her hand motioned her to go on. "What if I babysit Ara, so you can go to soccer practice?"

       Min-Jun tapped his chin. Lake looked up at him with a hopeful smile. "Hmm... no."

       Lake gave him a pouty frown. "But I watched over her yesterday!"

       Min-Jun raised an eyebrow. "For less than five minutes."

       "I still looked after her," Lake said as a matter-of-fact.

       "Why are you so adamant about this soccer proposal?" Min-Jun asked curiously. He thought Lake had given up on the matter at hand. Yes, he played soccer but it was not something he was passionate about.

       "Colleges look for more than grades. You need to show your school spirit. Show them you partook in extracurricular activities." Lake explained.

       "Then why haven't you joined any sports?"

       Lake opened her mouth to make a point, but nothing came to mind. "I—I have asthma. Yup, so I cannot partake in sports. But if I could, I would."

       Min-Jun raised an eyebrow, not fully believing Lake. "Fine, I will go one day." He finally gave in. "It'll be your probation. If you pass, I will stay in the team. If you don't, I will leave. Deal?"

"Deal!" Lake had a determined look in her eyes as she accepted the challenge.

"Min-Jun!" Lake and Min-Jun turned to the overly high-pitched voice. Olivia walked up to them, her eyes fixated on Min-Jun. She threw a quick glance at Lake and forced a friendly smile. "I came to invite you two to my Halloween Bash. It is in two weeks and I expect to see you there."

       It was obvious her comment was directly solely at Min-Jun. The blonde batted her eyelashes at him, tucking a piece of her hair behind her ear. Lake threw daggers with her eyes at Olivia. Her lips twisting into a sour frown.

Min-Jun gave Olivia a formal nod. "We will try to be there." He said, throwing his arm over Lake's shoulder and pulling her closer. "Right, pumpkin?"

Lake held back the urge to grimace at the cringey nickname. "Yes, will." Lake watched as Olivia's smile fell for a split second.

"You, better." She winked at Min-Jun before turning on her heel and walking away.

Lake gritted her teeth together. It finally clicked. Olivia had broken up with Owen to go after Min-Jun, he was the new sensation of the school. The new 'it' boy and of course, Olivia had to have the best of the best by her side.

"Did she just—" Min-Jun shuddered at the memory. Olivia flirting with him felt wrong. He was used to Olivia reserving her affection solely for Owen.

"Now that Owen is second-best, she's after you." Lake crossed her arms over her chest. It was not that she was jealous, more like furious. Olivia had already taken the love of her life once and now she was planning on doing it again — not that Min-Jun was the love of her life — but it still angered her.

Min-Jun tilted his head to the side. "It seems as if we have to step up our game, pumpkin."

Lake crinkled her nose. "Argh, no don't call me that."

       "Why not, pumpkin? Would you prefer I call you shortcake? Or perhaps sweetie-poo?"

       Min-Jun let out a low chuckle as he stared down at Lake who looked up at him unamused. He gently patted her head as he leaned down.