The Dark, The Light, The Curious

June trekked up the side of the Mountain Ebott. Outlining her thin figure was the first glimpse of dawn. She left the house before the clock read 00:00.

The one room she'd ignored, neglected for years... she entered.

The carpet was the same. The smell was the same.

The window was the same, even the stage of the moon mocked her in it's similarity. The light reflected off of her aged face, her eyes didn't shine in the light this time.

For a while, she just... stood. Her shoes sunk into the soft carpet, and the heater hadn't been activated in forever.

She inhaled deeply.

There was something dead about it. Like the air had been stripped. No magic, she realized.

She walked over to the bed. Where...

Her bag?

Her brown eyes widened.

Her bag.

Her...

Oh God no-

Her knife.

She covered her mouth, and leaned to the side. Acid filled her nasal cavity. The corrupted taste of homemade cider spread across her tongue. Tears overflowed and streamed down her chilled hands.

It was like it was all happening again. Everything was suddenly so raw.

It crushed her.

Another crack in the tricolored soul.

Through blurry vision, she noticed something sticking out from under the bed. It wouldn't have been visible from any other angle.

She shakily crouched, taking a moment to cover up a sob, and peeled open her backpack.

Everything was the same. Down to the scratched thermos. The grass stuck to the sheet was disintegrating.

June picked up the two thermoses, one full and one empty, and set them aside. They would go straight in the garbage truck. She folded the sheet, but hesitated while holding the blanket.

She grasped the worn fabric between her hands.

She rolled it up and shoved it deep in the bottom of the bag. Reaching into her coat pocket, she pulled out a pair of hole filled gloves.

She held them with ultimate care. June placed the green gloves in the backpack, next to a pair of scissors.

She set the whole thing aside, and reached for the notebook.

She stopped.

There was blood on it.

Brown, old, dried, long forgotten blood.

She closed her eyes, the tears still drying on her cheeks.