?!

Home Comics News How Captain America Can Return To The MCU (Without Changing His Ending)
How Captain America Can Return to the MCU (Without Changing His Ending)
Captain America could be brought back to the MCU in a new way, as Marvel Comics just revealed a new plot device that could bring Steve Rogers back.

BY LIAM MCGUIRE
PUBLISHED 10 HOURS AGO
Captain America wielding Thor's Hammer Mjolnir in Avengers Endgame
Warning! Spoilers for The Death of Doctor Strange #2 by Marvel Comics

Marvel Comics just introduced a new plot device that could be used to bring Captain America to the Marvel Cinematic Universe - without changing his fitting ending. In The Death of Doctor Strange #2 by Marvel Comics, the Sorcerer Supreme was murdered. However, he created a temporal remnant of himself, taking a week off his own life to make a copy of himself from the past. Hypothetically, the MCU could do the same with Steve Rogers.

Captain America wielding Thor's Hammer Mjolnir in Avengers Endgame

In Avengers: Endgame, Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) returned the Infinity Stones to their proper places across time but decided to use the opportunity to live out his previously lost life with Peggy Carter. After being frozen for decades, Captain America decided he wanted the chance to live the life that was stolen from him. Ultimately, Steve went back in time, lived his life with Peggy, and ended up in the present day as an older man. However, Marvel Comics just showed a way that he could return without ruining his perfect ending in the MCU.

In The Death of Doctor Strange #2 by Jed Mckay, Lee Garbett, Antonio Fabela, and VC's Cory Petit, a version of Doctor Strange from the past arrives in the present day to investigate his own death in the current timeline. In the issue, the younger Doctor Strange reveals many years ago he severed a week of his life from his own timeline - literally cutting it off his lifespan. He hid his temporal remnant away, keeping it a secret from everyone. Strange created the temporal remnant as a contingency and precaution so that it could emerge should he die. The temporal remnant of Strange was made so he could deal with his affairs after dying.

While Strange's temporal remnant will try to solve his own murder in the comics, the plot device could work in bringing back Captain America to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. If the MCU wanted to bring back a younger Steve Rogers, they could include that he made some sort of arrangement with Strange to create his own temporal remnant - sacrificing a week of his life to be brought back under a certain circumstance, such as his death. That way, the most popular version of Captain America in the MCU could come back, while not impacting his final chapter. Old Captain America would still exist, as would his MCU life... no time travel involved. Canon would still be canon.

It's unlikely we'll see Steve Rogers' Captain America again in the MCU - as least as his most popular form by Chris Evans. However, if the Marvel Cinematic Universe ever wanted to bring Captain America back, they have a comic story that could explain his return and not impact canon in a negative way.