12 || Almost

Almost reminds you of the things that could have happened but didn't. It makes you remember the times you got so close to something good, only to realize you're a breath short to hold it tight and never let it go.

- - -

"The Kiss Game... It kills."

"We knew it from the beginning that this would be our end game." He sighed. "But we didn't stop it."

"Jaemin... What would happen if we don't kiss? Can we continue living like how we used to?"

"Happy endings don't last in every story."

I turned to him. "It could happen! It could last!"

"This is reality!" He turned and yelled at me. I could see the tears in his eyes. "This is not Disney. This is reality and happy endings don't exist most of the time. About 99% of them don't have happy endings."

I shook my head, feeling tears in my eyes. "You said 99%. We could be that 1% who could end up having a happy ending."

"But this is reality."

I got angry with his 'reality' and blew off. "Reality, reality, reality! Of course, I understand this isn't a Disney story! This is reality, but it can go both ways! We can either have a happy ending or not, that is how reality works; it doesn't have to have a happy ending like Disney!" I walked closer to him and put my right hand on his cheek, caressing it. "I can't bear to part from you," I whispered, not trying to let out my tears.

JAEMIN POV
"I can't bear to part from you."
I can hear her holding back her whimper. She didn't want to cry, neither did I.

Through this game, we were together; just us. We helped each other, regardless of knowing how it would end, but we didn't know it would end this quickly.

If this was our fate, then I hope that in the next life, we could chan be our fate. So that I won't have to say goodbye and so that you won't also have to say goodbye.

- - -

When night came, both of them were on guard. They wanted to sacrifice themselves for each other, where one is forgotten and one is living happily. Little did they know, it was a game of regret.

Jaemin quietly stood up and walked over to Y/N who was sleeping. As he touched her shoulder, she was alarmed and woke up.

"Y/N..."

"You want me to win?"

"If you win, you can forget about me. It is my last wish."

"Jaemin, I can't fulfill your wish." She sniffled. "You've always told me how you wanted to change your life. How happy you wanted to be. How you wished you could have lived differently. Did you forget what you told me?"

"You remember that...?"

She walked closer to him and cupped his face with her hands. "If I have forgotten, then who else would fulfill your wish. I wish you could be happier without me." She pushed him down on to the floor and pinned him. In a flash, he pushed her and went on top of her. "You can't do this!" He yelled. 

She chuckled with tears filling in her eyes. "One thing I've never forget. You told me that top always wins." Her hand slid around his neck as she leaned her face up to kiss him. He quickly let go and held her head. "You-" His words got cut off from hers. "I did it." She smiled.

"I wish you could be happier without me." Her eyes closed slowly as a single tear dropped from her eye.

"Y/N...." He continued calling her name. 

He kissed her again. "Like fairytales, if a prince kisses the princess, she will wake up, right?" She asked himself. He kissed her again and again, yet, to find himself fooling himself. In frustration, he started crying. "I'm trying! I'm trying, but I can't save the one I love!"

"The game has come to an end..." A familiar voice said.

Jaemin looked up, seeing Chanheeee who was standing in front of him. "Chanhee..."

"It has ended. Even if it says in fairytales where a prince kisses the princess, she will wake up, you know it's not real."

"Chanhee... save her, please." He sobbed.

"If I had the power to, I could, but I was not the one who created it."

"If not you, then who?"

Chanhee looked down in regret. "That. I cannot tell you, Jaemin."

"How can I undo this game...?" He asked Chanhee.

"You can't. It's ends and starts as how it likes. No one can escape this game." Chanhee sighed. "That's the sad fact of this game. A kiss that kills. A love that have blossomed, only for it to be burnt into dust." He knelt down and patted Jaemin's back. "You can choose to forget or remember. What would you choose?"

Jaemin looked down and chuckled. He looked at Chanhee who was beside him. "If I had a choice back then to approach her or not, I would chosen to approach her again. She once said that she saw stars in my eyes, little did she know that my eyes were like the depressing nights and she was the stars."

As he stopped talking, her body started turning into little sparkles, floating away in the sky. He looked at the sparkles that disappeared into the night sky and smiled painfully. "I choose to remember." 

"Are you sure?" Chanhee asked.

"If I don't remember her, then who else would? Now that her existence has disappeared from the world, no one will remember who she was. If I choose to not remember her, then she will be sad." He looked at Chanhee. "So I'm choosing to remember."

Chanhee smiled and patted his back. "Very well then." He stood up and looked at Jaemin. "I will soon also forget, but Jaemin." He smiled. "I admire you." He walked away and disappeared in the fog.

Jaemin stood up and looked at the sky. "What a lovely moon. Too bad, you can't see it with me anymore."

- - -

"If I choose to remember, I would choose to remember your presence in my life." 

He looked up at the beautiful sky. It's very beautiful, just like the one they saw together that day. "Y/N, the sky is very pretty today."

"The sky is very pretty today." He reminisce her words.

"Too bad, today will be the last day that I see it." He closed his eyes and felt the breeze. "If missing you gives me this much pain, then let me choose to be with you in the afterlife. You have been lonely for a very long time; I will accompany you." 

He pushed himself backwards, falling into the cold ocean.

"If this is our fate, I hope that in the afterlife, I won't meet you, and you won't meet me."