chapter twelve - private jet

Me and Alex hadn't really spoken much that boring. We had brief conversation, packed the minimal amount of things that we had taken with us, and then boarded the plane that had arrived for us.

It was pretty early in the morning, so the sun was still rising and the sky was clouded with colours of rose and yellow.
We had only been in the air for ten minutes and I was already bored of the dragging silence.

This time, we weren't sat opposite one another. I was sat next to Alex, who was closest to the window. But despite how close we were together, not a word had been spoken.

"Are we going to stay silent until we land?" I asked quietly, trying not to damage the cold atmosphere too much, too quick.

He turned to face me, our faces just inches apart. "What would you like to talk about?"

"I don't know" I sighed.

"How about-" he said, lowering his voice.
"We just don't talk at all? I like a quiet flight"

"Alex, that's so-"

Just as I was about to complain about his boring antics, I felt his supple hand slide up under my skirt that I had chosen to wear that morning, and squeeze my thigh gently.

Before I could respond, he leaned in and pressed his lips against mine, moving his other hand under my hair to hold my head.
I allowed myself to kiss him in return, not for too long though.

When I tried to pull away, he forced himself closer to me and bit my lip, so that trying to leave him became painful.

"I have to tell you something" he whispered under his own heavy breath, still kissing me in-between his words.
I felt his hands trail under my legs- then he lifted me to sit me facing him on his lap.

For another minute he didn't break off the kiss, and I was somehow enjoying myself- ignoring the fact that I was so frustrated with him.

"My family" he continued to whisper between breaths. "They're not just successful businessmen, Vic"

I nodded to show him that I was listening.

"Do you know what the mafia is?" he asked quietly, which make me break the kiss by pulling away my lips in shock.

"Yes" I said, wide-eyed, and confused.

He didn't say anything else after that. Alex maintained sharp eye contact with me, until I finally figured out what he meant.

It took me a minute.

"You're not-" I stuttered, "You're not serious"

His eyes remained interlocked with me, and he softened his voice.
"Pretty fucking serious"

"I don't believe you" I whispered. I was startled- with my lips parted and thoughts trailing. It couldn't have been true.

"I didn't tell you in the beginning" he said, "Because I wasn't planning on having you stick around, Vic"

I fell sideways on to the seat, off Alex's lap and froze, staring at him like I didn't even know him anymore.
It took me a while to compute this.

"And you want me to stick around, now?" I asked with a tremble in my voice.
"After what you've told me?"

He slid his hand on top of mine, so forceful that I was unable to snatch it away.

"I'll tell you anything you want to know" he mumbled. "You're safe with me"

"And if I chose not to stay?"

He sighed. "I'd have a hard time forgetting about you, Vic"

"What do you mean?" I questioned with a little outrage in my tone. "I'm just a whore you found at a club- and you're going to tell me that you like me now?"

"You're not a whore" he stated firmly, clenching my hand a little tighter. "Stop calling yourself that"

He leaned in towards me, placing his lips on my shoulder and kissing my skin gently.

"Consider staying, with me"

♡━━━━━━━━━━━━━━♡

I stumbled leaving the plane, still distraught about what Alex had told me. He was slowly walking beside me, not saying a word.

It was then, I noticed a car a few yards away from where the plane had landed. A blonde woman, dressed sharply in a white fur coat which was contrasted with a black dress, was leaning up against the car as if she was waiting for us.

Alex began to slow down, and moved his lips close to my ear so that he could say something to me.

"Go and get in the car, I'll be back in a moment" he ordered, directing me towards the car on the other side of the runway that was clearly awaiting our arrival.

He left me, walking towards the woman. At first, I began walking over as he said, but out of sheer curiosity, I stopped and spun around.

"What are you doing here?" Alex's numb voice asked her, with a disrespectful tone.

"Don't play dumb" she smiled. I noticed her reaching out a hand- she almost looked as if she was playing his the buttons on his suit.

I watched him grab her wrist and push her away from him subtly.
I began to grasp an idea of who she was.

The woman's eyes flicked towards me, and her face dropped along with it.
"Is that the prostitute that Ezra was telling me about, then?"

"Excuse me?" I questioned, defending myself. I wasn't the most innocent of girls but I'd never considered myself a prostitute.

Alex finally noticed I was present, turning to look at me and then taking a few steps in my direction.
"Vic" he said. "Ignore her, and go and wait for me in the car"

"Who the fuck gave her the authority to call me that, Alex?"

"Yeah Alex" she mimicked from behind him.

He spun around to face her.
"Give it a fucking rest, Eliza"

As he turned back, he grabbed my arm and pulled me along with him towards the car. I objected to it, but he never let me go, and eventually he threw me in to the back seat and slammed the door.
He proceeded to get in the other side, and told the driver to take us to his house.

I laughed sarcastically.
"So that's who you were talking to yesterday"

He let out a heavy sigh before addressing the situation.

"Eliza is my ex-wife, Vic"

I looked at him. "Her?"

"It was a marriage promoted by both of our families, to unite them. But it wasn't working out and she ended up running off to Ezra"

"Mafia families?" I asked sheepishly.

He nodded.
"But now Eliza and my brother have split up, our families are trying to search for ways to stay as one"

I fell quiet. I felt bad for questioning him on things to do with his family- perhaps he didn't like talking about it.
I know I certainly didn't.

"I'm sorry for saying anything, back there"

"No" he said, "I'm glad you tried sticking up for yourself- my family would like that"