.26.

The rest of the week flew by faster than I could comprehend. I had anticipated that Aria would move fast with the information about Princess Sapphira, so I was not shocked to find out come Thursday evening that the had unceremoniously sent home. I was stunned to discover that she had been found attempting to seduce a guard, and that had been the last straw. Though she claimed she was just trying to get closer to the Prince, her state of undress suggested otherwise

The scandal was enough to distract the king from the moves I could see my father making. The Nadoran army was brought closer to the castle under the pretence of preparing to ride for home.

With only Anne and I left to compete for Masons affections, the timeline was cut short and preparations began for a ball at the end of the week, no doubt by the suggestions of my mother and my impending deadline.

Despite my best efforts I could not catch a moment alone with Mason as he prepared for the ball. He was always going out or talking with others and outside of sneaking into his chambers of a night - lengths that even I would not go to - I could not find a way to speak with him. The beginnings of a plan had started to form in my mind, but I felt the need to discuss it with him in part before I acted.

On Thursday I sat in the garden with Anne, both of us working on needlepoint with our maids each sitting beside us. Anne seemed quite serene, happily working on her piece. The circle in my hands however was a mess of too hard pulls and unstitched threads. Like dancing, needlework was not my forte.

'Jane, I am quite parched, would you and Nadine fetch something to drink for miss Davenport and myself?'

She glanced at me meaningfully and I agreed with her 'Yes, Nadine I find I am hungry'

The maids looked at each other with a shrug then walked off in step to the castle to fetch the requested items.

'There, now we can talk without being worried' Anne was pleased with herself. I laughed at her and nodded my head, 'indeed we can'

'I was very surprised that Heleana was sent home so quickly, although Sapphira leaving was a blessing. She was not a very kind princess'

'I dare say the Kingdoms will feel slighted'

She looked at me and dropped the pretence of paying attention to her work. 'Eve, may I speak plainly?'

'Of course Anne, we are friends' it was the truth. I had come to think of her as a friend in the few short days I had been able to know her. I was grateful for her sake that she had not been doomed to marry my brother Anthony. She was far too kind and deserved much better.

'There is talk around the castle that the Prince is choosing you tomorrow, and I suppose I would like to know ahead of time so that I can be prepared'

Her face was so trusting that I wanted to tell her the truth. But I could not reveal it yet, I needed to time it right.

'I do not know what will happen tomorrow. I am sure you have just as much chance as me'

Anne sighed to the ground then dug her head into her hands 'I have to tell you the truth Eve, it is eating me up inside' she was not one prone for exaggeration so I sat up and waited for her to tell me.

With her hands over her face except for her eyes she watched me nervously as she confessed. 'The Prince kissed me'

Time stood still. I could not have pretended a shock more convincing than the natural reaction I had. I stared at her until her face blurred. She waited awkwardly for me to speak but I could not.

The maids returned with our refreshments then took their seats beside us again.

'My lady, the Prince left another note for you this morning, thanking you for such a pleasant evening last night'