The Lies She Told

"Mom the clothes is still wet! didn't you turn on the dryer last night?"

"oh sorry hun, I totally forgot!"

"great, now I can't wear what I wanted to wear!" I slam the door to the dryer storming out of the laundry room to my room to look for a clean shirt.

"I'm sorry honey, hurry up though sweets. your bus will be here any minute now!" says my mother.

"shut up and let me think mom!" I yell back at her.

"Eli don't you dare use that tone with me young lady!"

I hear her make her way upstairs to my room. I throw a band t-shirt on and push pass her in the hallway, running down the stairs. I grab my bag and head out the door.

"yo babe, you look hot!" I roll my eyes as my girlfriend Sam walks up my driveway and finds her way into my arms. I hug her tight, lightly rubbing her back.

"hey beautiful, how was your night?" I say throwing my arm around her shoulder pulling her close making our way side by side to the bus stop.

"it was great babe! I had a dream about you!" she looks up at me and lightly kisses my lips. I swear I melt every time our lips make contact. And I mean both sets of lips. I kiss her back lightly biting her lip.

"and what was this dream about beautiful?"

I smile down at her as her cheeks turn pink.

"you and I were on a swing set talking about our future and we were holding hands ..."

"yo, yo, yo my niggah!!" I look up and see Nick, my idiotic friend standing across the street at the bus stop.

I wave to him and look down at Sam. "sorry about that, go on beautiful." She looks up at me and half smiles.

shit

something's wrong. I look at her and pull her closer to me.

"What's wrong baby?" she looks up at me and forces a smile.

"nothing babe." She says.

"Ay dog I'm on deck!" Nick yells at me. Sam sighs and shrugs my arm off her shoulder and picks up her walk. Without missing a beat I keep stride with her.

"What's wrong babe?" I try and stop her but she clutches her binder and keeps walking.

"Ay Eli!" Nick shouts .

"hold the fuck up!" I yell back, flipping him off. I look at Sam and pull her arm lightly to get her to talk to me. She stops walking and looks at me.

"what's up babe?" I say looking into her deep blue eyes, searching for an answer.

She looks up at me and inhales to say what she's about to say.

shit

I brace myself for her explosion.

"you said you quit smoking! why are you lying to me Eli?"

she looks up at me as my heart breaks when her eyes fill up with tears. I cup her face and take a step towards her.

"baby I've been sober for a year now! I wouldn't lie to you baby girl. I swear to you with all my heart that I quit."

She looks at me and and my heart begins to race when she slowly shakes her head.

"baby why don't you believe me?" I ask her as she pulls away.

"I may be an airhead when it comes to drugs but I've been dating you for about two years now and i've picked up on some of your drug talk!"

I look down at her biting the inside of my lip to keep from laughing.

"what do you mean babe?" I ask her.

"Nick said he's on deck! I know what that means!"

I look over across the street glaring at Nick. I look back at her and grab her hands lightly kissing them.

"baby I quit. Nick doesn't know I did, he's stupid baby."

She looks at me and rolls her eyes."bullshit" she says and walks off as the bus rolls up to the bus stop.

Sam storms off to the bus pushing past Nick. Nick walks over to me as I cross the street.

"Ay dude, what's up with you and your girl?" Nick lightly punches my arm as I frown at him.

"dude what the fuck?!" I yell at him.

He looks at me in confusion. I roll my eyes yelling back at him. "I'll see you at school dumbass!"

I climb the stairs onto the bus and look for Sam but she's already sitting with her best friend Alice. She looks up at me and quickly looks away. I sigh punching the seat before I sit down.