The Best Are Insane

The paper is talking. THE. PAPER. IS. TALKING. Why is the paper talking?

“I would answer that, but I don’t think you really want to know.”

I pulled them out of my pocket. Both of them. They looked like normal pieces of paper, exactly like earlier except there weren't any words. 

“I’m not actually going insane am I?” 

It was silent for a split second, and for that split second I felt the air leave my body. I felt like everyone who called me crazy was right, but it was only for a second because the one on the left answered.

“The best people are insane. Be sure to remember that.”

I just stared at it and waited for a sarcastic remark, but it didn’t leave one. I didn't know whether that was supposed to be soothing or not but it sounded like a warning. 

“Yes, yes. Being insane is the key. Being insane will set you free.” The one on the right said.

“What? Why is it talking like that?” 

“I don’t really know, but I think it used to be a rule when the Old Queen ruled. If you haven’t left, you must rhyme when you speak.”

Strange rule.

“It was a strange rule but hey.”

Guess so. Wait…

“Crazytown?”

“Yes. That is where we are. Where trees talk, and mind wanders far.” The one on the right said again.

I couldn’t help but cringe at the rhyming. I’m definitely not going to get used to this place.

But where else am I going to go?

I looked down at my other hand because I was holding on to something, I thought I was supposed to be doing something, but I didn’t remember what.

Oh, right the key!

I put them in my pocket and I started looking around again,

“You’re looking in the wrong place.” 

What the hell?

I looked up to a boy, he was sitting on top of the labyrinth. He had messy, auburn hair and dark green eyes. 

“And who are you?” 

He jumped down

“Micheal. Micheal Gale.”

He held out his hand, I don’t know what he expected me to do with it.

“You’re not going to leave me hanging are you?” He said with a deceiving smile on his face.

I just stared at him. After what seemed like a minute, he seemed to get the message. He retracted his hand, but still had a smile on his face. He seemed a bit shocked,

“Well, I guess you are.” He said to himself.

I looked around and then. I put my hands in my pockets.

Oh, the watch!

I pulled it out, and looked for the place where the paper fell out. I grabbed the key, and placed it into the clock. It fits! I twisted, and when I pulled it back out, the back flipped open, revealing a compass… 

And another note.

I swear to god… 

 To my surprise, it was bigger than the others. I found myself unfolding it 4 times, and when I read it