Chapter 4

Hello beautiful people!  :D

Thank you for the reads! It means so much.

As always, Feedback rocks my world. 

A reminder that this story is based off of a short, horror story that Roald Dahl wrote called 'The Landlady'. It was made into a film and I have posted a frame from it of Billy and The Landlady. I did not want to show you much of Billy, since he looks quite old to be a 17 year old. 

Enjoy!

Siyara

Billy:

After breakfast, I decided to speak to the landlady. Perhaps she would reveal more than anticipated. I had decided to wear a very professional, fine, new, navy-blue overcoat, a new, brown, trilby hat and a new, brown suit. I made my way down the spiral stairway before entering the peculiar odorous living room expecting to meet the landlady there. I peered around the room, everything was very old fashioned. From the ebony wood coffee tables, to the antique lamps. Yet the most intriguing of all were the motionless pets, laying on the carpet, resembling statues. Perhaps they were some type of toy used as decoration. The next thing I knew, I was leaning down to touch the dachshund. I retracted my hand quickly and jerked back. It was so cold. And so realistic.

I sprinted up to my room in an attempt to contact Sherlock when something caught my eye. Down the hallway was a large chestnut book case. It did not blend in with the decor at all and rather stuck out like a sore thumb.

I shuffled over to the book case, knowing for sure that no one would hear my feet on the soft, beige carpet. I stared at the books. They appeared to be brand new yet untouched. Each spine was covered in a thick layer of dust. I had recognized a few of them, old classics. They were brilliant. why hadn’t anyone read them? Or was I just assuming no one had? I reached out to touch one of the Roald Dahl books when I was abruptly yanked away from the books that were begging to be read.

A hand was firmly clasped on my arm and restricted me from walking away. I was lead to the living room and I found myself unable to pull my eyes away from the pets on the rug. The landlady pulled me along and seated me on the couch. “You should not touch those books”, by now I was more than suspicious. Why was the landlady so eager to pull me away from the books? What could she possibly be hiding in a mere book case? “Why?”, I demanded. It took a moment for the landlady to reply, “Because- err- the dust is... bad for your health, young man. We wouldn't want that now would we?”, she spoke as if she was resisting a breakdown. She was clearly angry and irritated. “Never mind dear, would you like a biscuit?” she spoke cautiously, averting her eyes from my perplexed gaze.

The landlady continued to press me to eat something while I pressed her for some answers to very important questions without being overly obvious. I was growing hungry, however I would refuse to consume the food that she provides. My efforts gave me nothing and I was forced to call it a day. The landlady had left me in the living room alone stating that she needed to use the restroom before walking away briskly, I could see that she was holding back a fit of rage. Why had she been so frustrated? I watched her blue and pink floral printed dress sway from side to side as she exited the room and galloped up the stairs.

Once the landlady was completely out of my view, I waited for several minutes before rushing up the stairs. I had one thing on my mind as I took large strides in order to climb the stairs quickly. The Book case. I skipped three steps at a time and once I had finally reached the top, I strode over to the book case.

Something about it was mesmerizing. I reached out and pulled on one of the books. Sydney Sheldon. After reading a few pages I slipped the book back into its original space when something shifted. The book case was incredibly flimsy and moved when I pushed it gently. I fiddled with it more and was able to move it quite a bit. I was so close to revealing what was behind this rickety book shelf when I felt a warm, wet breath on the back of my neck.