Old lady at the bank

An old lady walked up to the counter in her bank, handed her bank card to the teller and then said, "Mam, I would like to withdraw $10."

Giving the old lady a look bordering on contempt, the teller replied, "For withdrawals of less than $100 you must use the ATM, mam."

Looking a little crestfallen, the old lady asked why she couldn't withdraw her money from the counter.

"These are the rules, mam," said the teller irritably, as she returned the bank card to the old lady. "Now move along please because there's a line of customers behind you."

The old lady remained silent for a few seconds, as she gathered her thoughts.

She then handed the card back to the teller and said, "Then please, can you help me withdraw all the money I have in my account?"

The teller took the old lady's card and tapped her details into the computer. She was astonished to see just how much the old lady had in her account.

"Mam, you have over $300,000 in your account," said the teller, "the bank doesn't have that much cash available today. You'll need to make an appointment and come back tomorrow?"

The old lady smiled and asked, "How much can I withdraw now?"

"Well mam, you can withdraw up to $3,000", the teller responded.

"In that case, let me have $3,000 now, in $10 bills, please", said the old lady.

So, the teller laboriously counted out the $3,000 in $10 bills, then counted again, and finally she handed the cash to the old lady.

As the old lady took $10 from the top of the pile and put it in her purse, the teller then said, "Would there be anything else I can help you with today, mam?"

"Yes!" said the old lady with a smile, "I'd like to deposit $2990 into my account, please."