Chapter 3: Eliza

Eliza stepped off the ship, thrilled they had finally arrived. She passed her time on the transporter lazily. Her days mostly consisted of eating with her family, playing silly childhood games with her siblings, and watching crazy old-earth vids. She could not remember when she last spent her time so frivolously. It was refreshing, but she was ready to explore her new home.

As soon as her family stepped onto port, a Prathan male named Dax approached them and introduced himself as Lord Dathnar's assistant. Tall and muscled like Dathnar, his skin was blood red, and his eyes a deep auburn, like the freshly turned leaves of Autumn. Unlike Dathnar, his horns did not wrap around his head.

Instead, they rounded vertically atop his head. He had the same facial ridged spikes as the only other Prathan Eliza had ever seen with slightly lighter black hair. 

Stealing a glance at her family, she noticed their spooked expressions. They were still a tad frightened by the differing appearance of the Prathans. She, however, was not.

After many a night aboard the space cruiser studying Dathnar's appearance from his photo, she had grown used to the beings' razor-sharp horns and fangs, the different tone of their skin, and their smooth, strong jawlines.

Eliza jumped as she heard the strange, gravelly sound of someone clearing their throat. It was Dax. She blushed when she realized that she had been daydreaming again.

She knew what to expect of their appearance, but his growl-like voice shocked her. Having her full attention, Dax continued speaking as if it had never happened. "Come, humans. I will give you a brief tour of your new residence."

He led them off the port, away from the ship and into what looked to be a town square. "Here at the citu centre is where you may purchase everything you may need that hasn't already been or will not be provided to you."

It was breathtaking, unlike anything she had seen before. Lining the streets were so many booths, each selling numerous assorted products and bustling with business. Beings, mostly Prathans and three or four species she had never met before, rushed back and forth, deciding on what to purchase with their hard-earned credits.

There were food stalls that offered plates of what she guessed were the planet's most delicate cuisines, clothing booths with colorful attire to the likes she had never seen before, and more. The sights and smells assaulted her senses in the best of ways.

She anticipated what her first purchase would be, so lost in thought that she almost missed when her group exited the crowd and continued down the street. She hurried to follow, wondering where they would go next.

"You are to report to the mines in three days at an hour past the rise of our second sun. That is approximately 7:30 A.M. based on your time keeping records. There we will issue your mandatory work uniforms and gear. Training shall commence as soon as you fill out the necessary paperwork. "

She listened on as Dax went over what Lord Dathnar expected of them on the job and how they would not meet their employer until the following week at the Prathan's annual Panog celebration.

Disappointed, Eliza lost a little of the pep in her step. She built up so much anticipation on the trip here. Eliza expected to meet him much sooner. Oh well. Better late than never, she thought.

The stone buildings and walkways of the square were replaced with nature's natural design. One dirt path took place of the city's cobble stone street. Trees that reminded her of pine trees and other vegetation grew densely across the landscapes with orange and purple leaves and red bark.

She could see a vast range of mountains in the distance with a waterfall at its base. The two suns were just starting to set. It was a beautiful sight.

The way the suns' light hit the water and reflected the beautiful oranges and pinks was amazingly breathtaking. She decided at once that she loved this place. Forget that they had just arrived, and she may hate the work. The view alone was worth it.