Birthday surprise

I was looking forward to surprising Lorenzo on his birthday.

I already have a cake, so all I need to do is buy him a gift.

Luca and I went shopping together, and I told Lorenzo I only wanted to purchase clothes.

Initially, he demanded that I pick a store and he would buy the whole thing, but that's a bit excessive.

Once I made it to the mall, I saw a few eyes on me, and I couldn't blame them.

I had a bunch of security with me, which Lorenzo ordered to keep me safe.

I was unsure of what to get him since he didn't mention much about his interests other than books.

What would a mafia boss like? I guess a weapon he could use to kill someone.

Since it would be weird to buy it with his money, I decided to get him a dagger with my own money.

I headed home after purchasing some decorations and the dagger.

Everything was ready and I couldn't wait to surprise him.

I waited and waited, but he never showed up.

As it was 10 pm already, I started getting worried because Luca wasn't here either.

Lorenzo is always home by 8 pm since we had sex.

His goal was to maintain our marriage and the mafia.

I tried calling him, but it went to voicemail.

Strange...

In an instant, the door burst open and Lorenzo struggled to stand up.

His shirt was soaked in blood, and his face was smeared with it.

"Oh my god, Enzo, what has happened?" I question frantically as I leap to his side.

"Are you alright?" He asks worriedly, clutching my shoulders.

"Yes I'm fine"

His last words before collapsing into my arms were "Thank God"

___________

Lorenzo was rushed into surgery the moment we got to the hospital.

While Luca's condition was the same as Lorenzo's, he did not need surgery.

I would have the surgery myself but I wasn't allowed to.

Watching Luca being stitched up, I asked him, "What happened?"

"We were ambushed, but Lorenzo ran to us to make sure we were all ok and after..." he responded, pointing to the gang.

I couldn't help but frown when Luca says, "He ran a long way...to get to you"

"Why would he...?" I stammered as I remembered Lorenzo telling me to be careful this morning.

"He wanted to ensure your safety," Luca said before lying down and closing his eyes.

I touched Luca's arm to see if he still had any open cuts, but there weren't any.

The other gang members looked okay to me.

On the other hand, Lorenzo is still undergoing surgery.

He got badly injured while trying to save his guys.

As well as trying to reach me...

It wasn't long before Lorenzo was out of surgery and the doctor told him everything would be fine.

After thanking the doctor, I made my way to Lorenzo's side.

Luckily, he was asleep peacefully and no serious damage was done.

While waiting for him to awaken, I sat by his side.

"You shouldn't have run" I whispered as I held his hand.

I didn't mean for a tear to slip, but it did.

"What kind of husband would I be if I didn't?" Lorenzo inquired as his eyes opened reaching up to wipe the tear that fell.

"You're awake," I said in a sigh if relief.

"Hm," he replied, adjusting his posture to look me directly in the eyes.

As I watched him get out of bed to stand up, I asked him, "What are you doing?"

He replied, buttoning up his shirt, "Not my first time getting ambushed, amore mio"

"You don't need to be strong all the time"

"It doesn't hurt I promise," he said and I sighed knowing I couldn't stop him.

"Happy birthday," I said standing up and presenting him with his gift.

"Well, it's not exactly happy but..." I rambled and Lorenzo put his fingers to my lips as if telling me to stop talking.

"Just remembering is enough," he replied holding the present up.

He didn't open it.

The present just drew Lorenzo's attention as if he'd never seen one before.

I frowned as I asked, "You have never received a gift before, have you?"

He looked almost sad.

"It doesn't matter," he replied, opening the letter and looking at the dagger I gave him.

In return for the dagger, he gave me a kiss and thanked me.

"Are you sure that you're alright?"

"I'm fine, you worry too much," he said waving his hand to change the subject.

"Says the guy who ran for a long time while injured to check if his wife's okay" Lorenzo smirked at my statement admitting defeat.

Luca and Arlo and several other important people arrived shortly afterward.

In order to avoid Arlo, I stepped out of the room so that they could talk.

I didn't want to create a scene at the hospital.

Lorenzo's injury makes me realize how dangerous the mafia can be.

I wonder if I would survive it, especially now that I am basically sitting beside a king on his throne.

A very dangerous throne.