3

TALIA:

"Ugh, you smell just as revolting as you look." I gag. Jake is hunched over the trash can, as Mama, standing behind him, rubs his back,

"Talia, now is not the time. Get me a glass of water, please." She says sternly, great, Jake comes home drunk and I'm the one who gets reprimanded.

"What were you thinking, Jacob? It's literally Sunday night, you shouldn't have gone out at all." Ah, there it is. I smirk, as I dip the glass under the water faucet.

"Ice or no ice?" I call out. I can hear Mama whispering to Jake before responding with, "just do whatever!" a hint of annoyance in her tone.

"Here." I hold out the glass towards Jake, who takes the water with sweaty palms. "Thanks." He croaks. I snicker, serves him right.

Mama rubs her temples, before she sighs, "Talia, honey, you have school tomorrow. I know your tired, you should call it a night. If you'd like there's dinner on the stove."

I huff a breath, "I'm just gonna call it a night, see y'all tomorrow." With that, I turn on my heels and race for the staircase.

The day had slowly been unraveling, and the normalcy that I had felt earlier faded into the harsh reality. It had slapped me in the face.

When my back hits the cool sheets of my bed and my gaze meets my ceiling I find myself wondering of a life better than this.

For so long, I had been trapped in the denial of what has become my life. It felt almost suffocating to act like none of this existed when everywhere I turned I was reminded.

My family was the town's charity case. A reason to hold auctions, and to put the donation box at the door of the church.

That's all we were, to them we were just, that family with the dad who has cancer and the mom who can't even keep her kid straight.

I heave a shaky breathe, sending wisps of hair off my face.

Knock-Knock

The door pushes open gently, the silhouette of a figure pops their head in the doorway. "Hey honey." Mama says sheepishly.

I smile, even though she can't see it, and pat the empty space next to me on the bed. Her fingers play with the ends of my hair. "If your father could see you right now...he'd be so proud."

Mama's voice is shaky and breathy, I can't tell if she's crying or not. "I'm proud of you." She adds. "Thanks, Mama. He'd be proud of you too, you've done so much." She doesn't respond, instead she plants a kiss on my forehead before she gets up and heads for the door.

"Goodnight, honey. I love you, my sweet, sweet, Talia." With that, she pulls the door closed and I can hear her footsteps as she walks down the hall.

I lay in bed, a sheet twisted around my body an outcome of thrashing. the roar of lighting sends me trembling as I pull the sheet up to my chest.

The room was dark and cold. The dream I had is still in my head haunting me as it lingers in my mind.

I groan when there's a sharp pain that pulses in my head.