Chapter 2

A little more than an hour later I pulled into the Veterinarian parking lot. Turning the car off I rushed to the back door and gingerly lifted Callie off the seat and walked carefully to the door. As I entered the clinic a girl with short brown hair walked calmly over to me.

“You must be Allise. I’m Kylie the receptionist.” She said with a sincere smile. “Come to the examination room, Liam is expecting you.”

As we started towards the room a man walked gallantly out and stopped in front of me looking at the sopping wet dog wrapped in my arms.

“May I?” He asked stretching his arms out for the dog. I gently nodded as he effortlessly picked the dog from my arms. When I let my arms loosen their grip he lifted Callie into the air and started into the room.

“Ms. Taylor, Will you please follow me into the examination room.” He asked while walking down the hallway.

I quickened my pace to catch up and took long strides to match his.

When we walked into the room he laid Callie on a stainless steel counter and began unwrapping the wet blankets from my poor puppy.

“What happened?” he asked as he worked on getting the dog ready to examine.

I quickly explained that she just was afraid of storms and had gone wild when there was no one with her in the house and she had done anything she could to try and get away from the noise.

His hands worked quickly as he was using his stethoscope on her and gently probing her wet body. After a few minutes he turned to me.

He looked straight into my eyes and I noticed he had kind light blue, slightly green, eyes. They were the most gorgeous eyes I had ever seen. I quickly tore my gaze from his so I could concentrate on what he was saying.

“Well from what I can see and hear her breathing is normal and her wound doesn’t look too bad even though it is pretty deep. It was good you came in; she might have had a punctured lung. I will need to keep her overnight just in case I missed anything or it gets infected. But I’m sure she will be alright.”

“Thank you. Would you mind if I stayed for a while to make sure she is settled before I go?” I asked as I walked over to my now sleeping dog.

“You’re welcome. You are welcome to stay as long as you like.” He said with a warm smile. They were one of those genuinely kind smiles.

“I’ll just go wait in the waiting room then.”

Walking out of the examination room I began to shiver. Looking down at my clothes I noticed that I had a light coat on and after walking a little ways more I remembered, I don’t have any shoes.

I sat down on one of the chairs and curled up as best I could, trying to get warm.

I could hear footsteps coming closer as I sat there thinking.

“Come to the staff lounge and have some coffee. It will warm you right up.” A male voice said. I slowly looked up and saw Liam standing in front of me with a little concern in his voice. “By the way, my name’s Liam. What’s yours?”

“My name’s Allise, my friends call my Alli. A coffee would be nice. Thank You.”

~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking slowly behind him he lead me to a comfy looking room with couches and small tables set up throughout the room. There was a black leather couch and a green leather love seat, yellow chairs, marble counter tops and the curtains were a bright green. Not to mention the walls were a light shade of brown.

“So who does the decorating around here.” I asked quizzically taking in all the mismatched furniture at once.

“Well it really was Mr. Benet, since he does own the place and all.” He said smirking. “But I know, his taste does lack something.” Teasing filled his voice.

“Alright then Mr. Smarty pants.” I said already laughing. I was so happy. He was so easy to talk to, I had never really had someone that I got along with so quickly.

“Sit down, make yourself comfortable.” He said motioning towards a soft looking red leather couch.

Gladly I sank into it heaving a big sigh. This had been one crazy night.

“So, how do you like you coffee?”

“Black is fine.” I said as I looked over to where he had started a coffee maker. Liam walked over to me and crouched down.

“Would you like a blanket?” He asked.

“Yes. Thank you.”

“I assume you don’t wear that out in the rain very often?” He asked looking over my soaking jacket, shorts and bare feet.

“Only in thunderstorms.” I replied sarcastically. Chuckling to myself at his sense of humor.

He disappeared for a few seconds behind a wall and came back holding a large brown blanket in his arms. He unfolded it and threw it over my head laughing.

“Is that big enough for you?” He asked, eyes dancing with laughter.

“Yes it is. Thank you.” I said still giggling.

I grabbed the corners of the blanket and pulled it around my shoulders tightly, sinking into the arm and back of the couch.  

The coffee machine went off; he looked at me before heading over to the island, grabbing two mugs off of the drying rack and filling them with the hot substance. While his back was turned I wriggled around getting the blanket fully wrapped around my body and snuggling into it. He turned around and started back towards the couch, plopping himself onto the other side opposite from me.

“Here you go. Black as you ordered.” He said shaking his head with a slightly disgusted look on his face.

“What? Don’t see people drink their coffee black before?” I asked faking hurt as he set his cup down on the coffee table in front of the couch.

“I do but I never could understand why.” He chuckled.

“Well it tastes more natural.” I laughed with him. “Anyway, I didn’t see you put anything in yours.”

He looked up amusement written on his face. “Well I’ve been caught red handed.” He said holding up his hands in surrender.

“Hey I have to go do night check on all the animals now but I’ll come back. You can leave if you want or just stay here until I get back.”

“You trust me?” I said faking shock. “For all you know I could be an x-murderer.”

At that we both broke into laughter.

“Well then just make sure you aren’t hiding behind a door when I get back then.”

He walked swiftly out the door.

I pulled the blanket tighter around myself to keep the cold out. I was almost done my coffee and decided I should be heading out soon. As I lay into the couch more it consumed me and I suddenly felt overwhelmed with tiredness. The couch and blanket enveloped me in a cloud of sleepiness. My body relaxed and I felt my eyes begin to droop as I floated of into the land of dreamless sleep.

*Thank you for reading! hope you liked it and i hope to post more up soon.