Chapter 6 - Detective Work and Sunsets

It wasn't until about eleven in the morning on Wednesday that Makoto finally woke up. He had a restless sleep and opted to sleep in as much as he could. He recalled a dream he had that night. He was talking to Sayaka, but he couldn't hear what he was saying or what she was saying. At some point, Sayaka turned and walked away from him. He then turned around and saw Kyoko standing a few feet behind, earnestly waiting for him with her subtle smile that was so infectious.

Makoto did not know what to make of this dream. He could feel his face blush at just the recollection of it. He pondered for a moment, thinking back to last night spending time with Kyoko. He felt like he was getting closer to her. She was incredibly kind and caring towards him. It was something that he hadn't felt in a while. In fact, it felt much different to the comfort that he ever got from Sayaka. It wasn't that Sayaka never cared for him. There was something genuine about Kyoko's comfort that made it even more real.

Makoto turned to his night stand to look at his phone. He saw that he had a message from Kyoko.

Kyoko: Hey, I'm currently working on a report right now, but would you want to come along with me this afternoon to do some field work? We can hang out together afterwards.

Makoto was certainly astonished by this message. Kyoko never really brought up any specific cases she was working on or really opened up about her detective work. Makoto got the vibe that she didn't want to talk about it much, so he never prodded her with questions. So to be asked to come along with her for some detective work, Makoto was intrigued as to why she would ask him to come along.

Makoto: I'd love to come along. I've got nothing going on anyways lol. What time did you want to meet up?

It did not take long for Kyoko to respond.

Kyoko: Let's meet at noon. We'll have to take the train to go across town. Make sure to eat something before we leave.

Makoto: Sounds good, see you then!

Makoto got out of bed to take a shower and then went to the dining hall to grab some lunch. On his way into the dining hall, he ran into one of his classmates. It was Byakuya Togami, the Ultimate Affluent Progeny.

"Oh, hey Byakuya." Makoto cheerfully greeted him.

"Makoto." Byakuya acknowledged him with a subtle nod.

"Not going home for recess?"

"No. I am able to complete all of my business operations from the comfort of my own dorm. I don't need to bore myself with the needless travel."

"Ah, I see."

The two continued their conversation as they picked out their food in the line.

"I must say Makoto," Byakuya began, "there is an awful lot of chatter about you in the hallways of this school lately."

"Oh," Makoto sighed, "I suppose you know what's going on?"

"Yes. It seems you're the victim of an unfortunate break up."

"Yeah..."

"I honestly was surprised she even dated a commoner like you." Byakuya smirked, amusing himself at Makoto's expense.

"Uh..." Makoto wanted to defend himself, but he knew any argument with Byakuya about politeness and tact was futile.

"Anyways, I hope the chatter about you and her stops soon. I have grown tired of hearing such gossip poison my ears."

"Yeah...I hope it stops too..." Makoto said with confusion.

"Well, goodbye Makoto." Byakuya said as he exited the dining hall.