3

"I gotta pee before we go- anyone else?" I groaned, pushing off the table and standing up. Chris nodded and followed me through the restaurant while the other stayed back. I went in and when I came out, he was waiting for me-- his hands in his pockets looking around at the other tables. It was a lot of old couples. 

"I think you should go back to school," he said. I furrowed my brow but remembered our previous conversation. I did art sometimes. It was one of my favorite hobbies, but I never had time to pursue it. I guess he remembered my little sob story about it.

"For what is the problem though," I smiled, and he nodded. "I can't really go to school to animate cartoons for Newgrounds."

"You could try," he joked. A man slipped past him to go into the bathroom but once he went in, we didn't go back to the table. We just stood in the small space that led to the two separate rooms and looked at each other. He had blue eyes and long hair. He looked like the kind of guy I would make friends with when I was younger. 

"We should exchange numbers," he said suddenly. My head tilted up quickly to meet his gaze again. "Since you'll be here for a little while."

"Yeah... Yeah," I nodded, pulling out my phone. We handed each other our devices as we punched in our numbers. For a second, I wondered if he would look through my contacts and see I didn't have many, but then again why would he? He wasn't a creep. Not that I had seen any evidence of anyways. After a few seconds we handed them back. 

"Is it Christopher or Christian?" I asked as we snaked our way through the restaurant back to the table. 

"Christopher- for the love of God please don't call me Christian--"

"Why?" I laughed, making him smile. He shrugged, saying something about how he'd never met a "humane Christian", which only made me laugh again. The other four were gathering their coats and things, preparing to leave. We all reached out the front door and walked towards the car. Ryan offered me a cigarette and lit mine up after his own.

We talked outside of our cars for a while before saying goodbye and heading back to our own places. I leaned the side of my head against the backseat window and watched the yellow lines on the road blur into one long one. Once we reached the parking garage my phone buzzed.

Chris - Do you like kids?

You - Did you get me pregnant?

Chris - Not yet
Chris - Schools are always looking for art teachers
Chris - Pretty sure they don't drug test you either since I know you're a coke fiend 

You - First of all fuck you 

You - And second of all that's a lot of schooling! I need a license or smthn... you payin' bbg??

Chris - Handsomely 

I smiled down at my phone, sliding my shoes off. He wanted me to stay here? I mean, so did Ryan and Matt. It would be nice to not have to do front desk work anymore. Plus, I didn't have to know math, just how to draw. 

It was a little fast. Thinking of staying here, I mean. As much as I wanted to be around my friends, there was a lot I was leaving behind back home. And I had never taught before. I was getting way ahead of myself.

"Got anyone at home missing you right now?" Ryan asked from the couch. I finished breaking the top off my beer from the fridge and scoffed.

"Maybe some scary stalker I don't know about. Otherwise, no."

"Oh come on," he groaned, patting the cushion next to him. I dropped down like a rock and leaned against his shoulder, his large arm wrapping around me. "It cannot be that bad over there. You're basically secured for life."

"Please!" I laughed. I looked up into his dark eyes as he laughed. I liked the way he squinted when he smiled too hard. It reminded me we were teenagers once. I chuckled, "Being a secretary until I'm dusty and grey is not my definition of secured, Ryan."