Chapter Nine

"Dee!?"

Jack had been stressing about this day for the past two weeks. Sure. It was a kids birthday party, he'd done literally millions of those before. And it was literally at his place of work- he should be a pro, no need to worry, right?

But this was different. It wasn't just some random brat and their entitled parents. No, it was Dee's birthday. 

Since their parents untimely death, Jack had constantly felt guilty he couldn't give Dee the childhood he'd had (no matter how short it was). There was no theme parks, no swings in the back garden. Her bedroom walls were painted shoddily, and in creme-eggshell-offwhite-whitedove-pebble or whatever the newest word for "white but not" was.Her furniture was simplistic, and sparse. A bed, a bookshelf with a few books. Some crayons scattered about. The only real things he could afford. 

He also felt guilty he never spent "quality" time with her. She had school all day, and his shifts were from midday to well past her bedtime. And he worked most weekends. Sure, he spent every second he could with her, just chatting about the mundane, making sure she knew he cared about every aspect of her life. But it never really felt like it was enough.

That's why today had to be perfect. No smashed cakes, no vomit on the presents, no horny animatronics giving lap dances, and absolutely no murders. He needed to make it up to Dee, to give her even just one amazing day to look back on for years to come. He'd spent so long planning it, working overtime to get her the perfect gift, confirming that all her friends would be able to make it. 

He'd been incredibly grateful to Dave, too. Sure, the guy could be creepy at times. But after spending time with him, Jack honestly kinda got it. He'd been born with a few issues, meaning some of the pigmentation in his skin had developed a mutation which, along with other things, gave a purple tint to his skin, hair and eyes. It was so insignificant, in the long run. It wasn't harmful, it didn't cause any life-threatening issues. But yet, so many people would stare at him in disgust when they lie eyes on him. 

They didn't see him. They didn't see Dave. They saw a freak, they saw someone who wasn't "normal". 

He honestly couldn't blame Dave for desperately clinging to anyone who treated him with anything even slightly akin to respect. He had it rough. Dave was just lucky Jack understood that. Had Jack been someone else, he would have been completely freaked out (instead of just slightly freaked out) or, worse, used Dave's desperation as a form of controlling and manipulating him. Forcing him to perform horrific actions, discouraging the development of morals. Making him commit atrocities, making him feel sick every time he looked in a mirror, all for his own sick gain.

Good thing Jack wasn't like that.

Dave had been a huge help, with his extreme discount, and ability to persuade  Mr. Cawthon to change his hours in accordance with the party. That and.. he was actually pretty funny. He actually knew what sarcasm was, unlike everyone else in this country. 

The day had gone exactly according to plan. They'd arrived early, set up everything, and everyone else had arrived pretty much on time. None of the kids had thrown a temper tantrum, and Dave had ensured all the animatronics didn't glitch (near the kids, at least). Dee had been over the moon, and spent the whole time smiling. And, admitting it to himself quietly, Jack was having an amazing time himself. Sure, none of the other parents really talked to him due to the large age gap, but Dave had spent the whole time making hilarious remarks and jests at him, and Dee's delighted energy was catching.

It had been perfect. Until-

"Dee!?"

Dee screamed when he reached out to hug her, before realising who it was and falling into his arms sobbing. Her outfit, which she had so carefully picked out this morning, was now covered in dust and dirt, and her knees were badly scraped. Her eyes were wide and panicked, and her whole body was shaking.

Jack picked her up swiftly and checked the nearby surroundings. They were completely alone, the rest of the party still in the party room. 

"What's wrong, Berry? What happened?"

Dee didn't respond. She simply buried her head in his shoulder and gripped tighter, like he was her life raft in a stormy ocean. 

"Jack? Is everything okay? What happened?"

Dave appeared behind him, concern lacing his appearance. 

"I- I honestly don't know"

Jack's shoulders slumped as he started rubbing circles on Dee's back.

"Listen, I'm gonna take her home. Can you start sending everyone away? The partybags-"

"Calm down" Dave cut him off. "I was there when we planned it. I know what to do."

"Thanks Dave" Jack smiled grimly.  

He picked up a few essentials, with Dee still in his arms, before heading towards the car. He let her sit in the passenger seat, just this once as a special treat. 

Hopefully everything would turn out okay.

-Dave-

He fuckin' lied. He has no idea what he's doing. 

"Ah, well. What's the worst that can happen? Not like the first time this building's been set on fire."

With that he turned and walked inside, preparing to send all the crotch goblins home.