Chapter 7

That evening, the spring play took place at the Beaufort Community Center. Everyone attended including Belinda, Dean, Tracie, Walker, Eric, and Landon's mother.

"Pour me a drink, Joey." Landon said.

"You promised me Tommy." Sally said. "No more of your good-nick schemes. You promised me we'd go to Paris."

From the wings, Eddie and Miss Garber were watching, making sure the scenes went smoothly.

"I won't sit on my keister and watch the fat cats gets rich." Landon snapped. "Trust me, this is a sure thing."

Landon's dad shows up and takes a seat in the audience.

"That's it!" Sally declared. "We are through!"

In the audience, Belinda was taking photos.

"Go ahead and run your booze, you big dope!" Sally snapped, shoving Landon a bit. "And I hope you drown in it!"

Jamie wearing a cloak with a hood enters as Sally makes her exit. They both stop.

"So, you must be the new girl he's hired. The singer?"

"You want some advice about this one?" Sally asked. "Stay far away. He's nothing but trouble in cheap spats."

Sally leaves.

"Look I ain't blaming you." said Landon. "I ain't asking for forgiveness, either."

Jamie takes the hood off her head and unties her cloak revealing a floor length, sky blue halter dress.

Landon looks at Jamie, stunned by how beautiful she looked. Her face was softly applied with makeup and her hair was down and curly.

Jamie sits down.

"When you walked out of the rain and into my club...that wasn't just coincidence was it?" Landon asked.

"Nothing's coincidence." Jamie replied.

Dean and Tracie were impressed by how Jamie looked. Even Eric who was asleep at first looked amazed.

"Your face...You look so familiar." said Landon.

"Like this dame I knew once, only it wasn't real it was a dream." 

"Tell me about this dream girl." said Jamie.

Landon hesitates.

"Well, I don't remember." he said. "All I know is that you're beautiful."

Jamie looked taken aback.

Belinda looks between Landon and Jamie suspicious.