Smile

People are more attractive when they smile.

There was something about seeing genuine joy on someone's face that made you want to grin as well. Maybe it was because people had a way of projecting and relating themselves to anything and anyone, and somebody's happy face could make you feel the same way.

It's even better when it's somebody you know. Something about a smile on someone's face, especially when it's somebody you particularly care for, is simply an enjoyable experience altogether.

That's why Akechi didn't like it when Saiki hid his smile.

It was less that Saiki didn't smile, and more that he chose never to be seen smiling. If Akechi tried hard enough, and practically stalked him, he could steal a glance before Saiki either turned away, or frowned again.

He'd tried plenty of times to get him to smile naturally, but whether he'd compliment him, or give him coffee jelly or otherwise kindly manipulate joy into him, he'd hide his face, leaving Akechi ultimately defeated.

It was a bit of an embarrassing topic, and if he hadn't heard it in his thoughts by now, he figured he would never. After all, he'd practically been mentally screaming it for weeks, or at least, he felt like he had, but if nothing was changing, he might as well ask directly, right?

"Kusuo-kun, why don't you ever let me see you smile?"

Exclaims of soda related superhero moves were quietly broadcasted as Akechi leaned to the side, nudging Saiki's shoulder with his head in petty frustration. He accepted it silently, because for once, he not only knew exactly what he was referring to, but also didn't care to deny it.

'I don't see what the big deal is.'

Akechi sighed.

"To be honest, I'm not even entirely sure as to why this is such a big deal to me. I've been thinking it over, Kusuo-kun, and I don't like how you don't let me see you smile. At least, not for very long, and it's only when you let your guard down. It makes me rather disgruntled, and I'm not sure what to do about it. Frankly, it irritates me. I would like to see you smile."

'Why?'

"I think you'd have such a lovely smile, Kusuo-kun. The only time I've seen you smile wholeheartedly, is when you eat coffee jelly. And even then, you barely let me see it. I think you have a lovely smile and you're keeping it from me."

'You sound ridiculous. Keeping it from you?'

"Yes. It's unfair and I demand remittance."

Saiki scoffed, nudging Akechi's head with his shoulder.

'I swear, you're such a genius, and you still manage to say the stupidest things compared to everyone else I know.'

"Aww, how kind of you! The first part, I mean. Also, the difference is that the rest of your friends aren't head-over-heels in love with you. That's definitely clouding my judgment in some way."

'It sure is,' he projected, rolling his eyes.

Akechi shifted in his seat, turning to face Saiki.

"Will you smile? For me?"

He looked up at him hopefully, with a stupid grin on his face, and any strength he could muster to resist it dissipated as he looked at him first in discontent, then in reluctant agreement.

'Alright. Fine. But then you'll stop telling me about it, okay?'

"This is the first time I've mentioned it!"