[vii]

Some hours after school, I found myself laying in bed. Unlike most times, I didn't have anything to occupy my mind. No flip phone games, no homework, and no food. Just me, my thoughts, and my favorite blanket.

     Eventually it got boring, despite thinking about my future husband, Sal. I cringed at the thought of me even thinking that.

As i was contemplating what to do, that God-awful smell from a few days prior was back. I got up and walked over to my window, slightly peaking my head out. My eyes scanned the horizion before eventually landing on some plastic bags.

Something was drawing them to me, and maybe I needed to check it out. With precaution. I quickly grabbed a mask, and some plastic gloves to shove into my back pocket. With that, I left my room, making sure the lock was working.

I'd decided to go see if Larry wanted to join me, since we hadn't spent any friend-time alone. Worst case scenario, I could grab a soda from the drink machine or something. As I slid the card into the elevator and felt it rattle to life, I jumped a little.

     I'd be lying if I said I wasn't already accustomed to a bad environment beforehand, but it was still annoying. I walked past the venting machine, and without thinking, put my head up against the door.

     I guess I was hoping to see if Larry was listening to music so I'd know if he was busy. Weirdly enough, I heard Sals voice. I was secretly happy to hear his voice, so I barely opened the door.

     Larry noticed me immediately and shot Sal a worried look, but Sal was busy talking about me. "I told you she would like me. You owe me 5 bucks." He snickered, spread across his bean bag. Larry made a pained face before pointing at me.

     Sal quickly snapped his head around, to face me. Before he could even start explaining himself, I sighed out, "For a bet? Really? F... fuck you." I slammed the door before walking away.

     The last thing I heard was Sal getting up and Larry saying, "You're cooked bro." I quickly got into the elevator, and decided I was still going to investigate the smell by myself. I needed something to distract me.

     I felt tears begin to form in my eyes, and a familiar sinking feeling in my stomach. Why was my love never returned? I took a moment to cry before realizing I looked dumb. Crying over some boy would never get me anywhere... even one who I really liked.

     About 5 minutes later, Sal would go up to Y/n's room, hoping she was there. He thought she was ignoring him, so he repeatedly knocked. After awhile, he gave up and went into his room. For some reason, he'd decided to look out his bedroom window. There Y/n was, approaching the trash bags. "What the..." Sal said before dashing out of his room and to the lobby.

     I grabbed a stick and put my gloves on. I slowly approached the bag, noticing the stench growing stronger and stronger. Eventually I had the confidence to open it, and so I did. I immediately noticed some tiny bones, and was somewhat relieved but also disgusted. It was just some little animal.

     Well, atleast I thought so. As I looked more, I began to notice a disintegrating... finger? Then an ear. The longer I looked, the more I realized what I was looking at. My eyes landed on a rotting eyeball, and right as I was going to back up, I bumped into something.

      I let out a loud scream before my mouth was covered. "Hey... shh... what the fuck is this.." a familar voice trembled. I shook myself loose of his grip and sputtered out, "I don't... know... why are you here, Sal?" I started, but realized what had happened earlier half way through.

     "I saw you out here... It's weird and I didn't want you to get hurt or something. We need to talk." He said, looking at me. His eyes then turned to the trash bag full of what looked like a childs remains. "About multiple things."

    I nodded as I swallowed the lump in my throat and took a moment to catch my breath. "My room. Now." I sighed, beginning to walk. He nodded back, and followed along.

     I sat on my couch, and he stood up infront of me with his arms crossed. I began to speak, but stopped myself. I needed a moment to gather my thoughts. After a few moments, I finally spoke.

      "Really...? A bet. I thought you were more mature then that. I genuinely believed that you liked me, and for once I wanted to try. I hope the five bucks was worth it."

     "Listen... I'm sorry. It was immature of me to agree to the bet, but I wasn't just trying to see how fast I could make you fall for me or something. Me and Larry were talking and he'd mentioned how I'd never had good luck with girls. So... he offered that if you liked me back then he would give me some money. But I promise you, I would give it up in a moment to prove to you that I really want to continue this."

"Thank you for explaining yourself. Yes, it was stupid to make a bet, but... I forgive you. Relationships are new to both of us. We're bound to make mistakes. Not saying that we're in a relationship or anything, ofcourse."

      He nodded at me with a smile before walking to me, standing between my legs, and hugging me. Since I was still sitting, my head was leaning against his waist, and my arms were wrapped around it too. Before letting go, I quickly placed a kiss on his waist, right above his v-line. "Y/n..." He mumbled.

"Shh..."