Red Flags & Rose Colored Glasses

They pulled up to the mall in Ramona's aunt's Honda Accord. The girls looped arms and headed for the entrance of the mall. "Thank you, Ramona," Mabel said, putting her head on Ramona's shoulder. Ramona rested her head on top of Mabel's, realizing the bruises and the overthinking was worth it.

They all continued walking and stopped at the fountain in the center of the mall. It was a tradition to toss their leftover change into the fountain, making a wish and hoping it would come true. "Here, I brought some change since I knew we'd be going here," Ramona said, handing Mabel and her Aunt a penny. One by one they closed their eyes, kissing the coin lightly before tossing it into the fountain.

"Do you girls' mind if I run off and do a couple of errands, while you guys shop around?" her aunt asked.

"I'm fine with that," Mabel said, then looking at Ramona who nodded in agreement. Aunt Lisa walked off and Mabel and Ramona set off to walk about the mall. They'd been going there since they were kids, it was weird seeing the changes they made to it. The mall was large and made out of cinderblock which had been painted a pale yellow, the tile floor had been scratched up from all the people dragging their feet over the years. At one point the town decided they were going to build onto the mall but they ran out of funds halfway through so the addition remains unfinished.

"I'm starving, do you wanna get some food?" Ramona said after a few minutes of walking. The food court was probably the most successful place in the mall. A few businesses had gone bankrupt and shut down but never ones in the food court.

"I was hoping you'd ask that," Mabel said, flashing a smile. They looked around the food court, debating where to eat before deciding on "Burger Palace." It was a new burger joint, the reviews were good and it was supposed to be "all american."

"Why do burger joints always have the stupidest names? Like they're always so aggressive. And what does all american even mean? Do they have really salty mac n' cheese that everyone and their uncle serves at family reunions?" Ramona asked as they walked in and got a table.

"Literally when I went down to Myrtle beach last summer there was this place we ate at and they had the weirdest names were their foods. Their signature fries were called "Forgive me father fries." Literally who came up with that?" Mabel said as she began glancing over the table.

"It's so stupid," Ramona began to speak when she noticed Mabel's face dropped, "what is there something on my face?" Ramona asked as she looked at Mabel, waiting for a response. She realized that Mabel wasn't looking at her, but past her. She turned around to see James sitting cozily at a table. She watched for a second, hoping they were just cousins or maybe friends. But the girl took James' hand in hers, biting her lip as she looked up at James. Ramona turned around, to face Mabel again. She tried pushing it out of her mind.

The rest of the time spent at Burger Palace was silent. They ate in silence. Finished their drinks in silence. Paid in silence. And left in silence. Mabel wrapped her arm around Ramona's shoulders, "Maybe they're just friends," she said.

"I don't even care anymore. He can hangout with whoever he wants, it's not like we're together," Ramona said, trying to make it seem like she didn't care. It hurt, just last night he'd been comforting her, holding her in his arms. Now he was out and about with another girl. When one leaves, another appears. She knew she shouldn't be mad, her and James were not dating. He could be around whoever he wanted. She just wished that if he was going to see other girls, that he would tell her. She just wanted to know for certain what he wanted. Who he wanted. She wasn't sure if she wanted him, but then again she wasn't out and about with a million different guys. She wouldn't care if he would simply just tell her that he didn't want to be with her. Instead, he spends most days with her for hours on end, making her laugh nonstop, sleeping in her bed, listening to her talk about various things she enjoys.