Prologue

We expect great things from you Naruto-sama! Hopefully Naruto-sama can live up to his parents! I'm so glad our beloved Yondaime has an heir! Those were the sentences Naruto had heard all his life up until now.

The red haired boy had a lot to live up to. Being the son of the most famous man alive in Konoha meant you were expected to be as famous if not more famous than the latter.

Ever since the day he was born, the red head had received special training from his father, his mother and the rest of the clan. Although all this pressure was put on a child so young, the Uzumaki had never once let that get to him.

This made his training easier as, word spread that the small Namikaze family had birthed a natural prodigy. Naruto had excelled in everything that was asked of him, and the boy had a particular talent with Fūinjutsu and Ninjutsu.

Though, him being a prodigy was a necessity for a child his age as, with war lurking over Konoha's shoulders, he was expected to protect both Konoha and the handful of Uzumaki in Konoha at the minute.

The redhead looked over Konoha from his father's stone face, he always felt at peace when he was up there. The Uzumaki heir suddenly felt a chakra signature behind him as he recognised it to be his jiji's.

"Sarutobi-jiji." Naruto greeted smiling at his grandfatherly figure as he hugged the man. "Oh hoho. Naruto-kun. If you hug me any tighter you might break this old timer's bones." The former Hokage said while smiling down at the 5 year old.

"Jiji. What does it mean to be a shinobi?" The prodigy child asked as Sarutobi looked up.

"To be a shinobi means to endure. A shinobi is one who can follow or lead others into any darkness and work together to overcome that darkness and make it out the other side. A shinobi walks towards danger when everyone else is running away, that is because it is the duty of a shinobi to look at any foe and simply say; "Bring it". That is because shinobi exist to protect those who can't protect themselves." The former Hokage stated wisely.

Naruto had a look of wonder on his face as he took in the information like a sponge, and also realising how wise and knowledgeable the Sandaime Hokage actually is. The redhead had no idea the retired Hokage was that wise.

An answer like that had changed Naruto's entire view of shinobi. At first, the clan heir had thought that being a shinobi only meant peforming cool jutsus and fighting in the name of your village, but his jiji had changed his view entirely.

Sarutobi looked at the Uzumaki with a mental smile. 'If only nations were at peace, maybe Naruto wouldn't have to live with such pressure on him'  Mused the former Hokage as he observed Naruto carefully.

The redhead had soon recovered from his wonder and stared down at the village. Now that he knew what being a shinobi meant, he had a pretty good idea on what it meant to be a Hokage.

He was snapped out of his thoughts when his Jiji said, "Now that that answer's out of the way. I can tell you what it means to be a Hokage-"

"I know. Jiji." Spoke Naruto.

Those words stopped Hiruzen in his tracks, his head tilting in curiosity. "You know what, Naruto-kun?"

Naruto looked up, understanding and respect in his eyes. Hiruzen was touched at the respect he was receiving from Naruto, but his curiosity was increasing. "What being a Hokage means."

Hiruzen stared at him, silently asking him to continue. Naruto spoke up, "The Hokage is responsible for everything in this village. It's his responsibility to protect everyone here, and to make sure they are safe and happy with their village. He tends to the finances of this village, the rules, the daily events, everything. He controls every single ninja who bears a leaf headband, and basically directs when they live and die. This job is not for the faint of heart, and only for someone who loves this village deeply." At the end of his answer, he was staring back at the village.