Prologue

Prologue

“Lenmana!” My name cut through the sound of the pulsing drums as Chief Viho called me forward to lead the tribal dance. The atmosphere was surging with electricity and excitement as it always did in the Taigi tribe on this night. The lit torches surrounding the tribe etched our faces with a soft orange glow that lit the cambers of everyone’s faces. The forest behind us, now dark and full of predators, felt as if it were many moons away, the varied shades of green and brown, interchanging and twining, with each breath. “Lenmana!” Viho called again, and I immediately snapped out of my daze and gave him a brusque curtsey. The calls around my fellow dancers and I heightened and the drums sped up their incessant beat, telling us it was almost time. I shuddered softly as the wind tickled a stray strand of my black hair over my face, before tracing the curves of my exposed stomach, arms and legs.

Elongating my right foot, I pointed my toes and arched my spine back. Giving the other dancers a soft smile, I saw the twinkle of excitement in their eyes. Our faces painted with the traditional golden flecks around our eyes, temple and jaw line in a swirled design. The newer girls giggled nervously, not used to such unknown power and thrill overcoming the tribe. But nevertheless, they too found themselves succumbing to it. Soon we were all in the position, bodies tensed yet in flexible state, each of our backs arched and our arms following the arch, poised, allowing our fingertips to brush the stomach of the girl behind.

The steady pulsing of the drums stopped, and I gave the girls a slight wink, confirming that this was our cue. Kicking the earth with the balls of our feet, the drums matched our movements as the dust displaced and sprayed out in front of us. In succession, we began to pirouette and leap, crossing over each other as our hands grasped each other’s and we twirled around. The beat grew stronger and our heels began to pound against the ground in an angry procession, our hips swaying in a fluid, hypnotic motion, limbs curving in inhuman like forms, as the older women in the tribe began to sing in tune with the rhythm.

Changing direction, I led the girls towards the roaring inferno in the middle of us all. The billowing flames reaching out to us as we danced around it. Our skins being warmed by the heat, our bodies alight from the burning of the fire as our limbs worked in synch with the now deafening drums. Everyone had begun chanting in our native tongue, clapping and singing along if they didn’t have an instrument to play. Bodies twining and limbs bending, the girls and I continued to dance, heat slicked bodies as our pulse raged on, alike.

Viho rose his hand and immediately all music and commotion stopped in an instant. Our dancing body's crumpling to the ground with a sudden exhaustion, as our muscles burnt with a slow, intense heat that yearned for us to dance more. Our breathes were ragged as all of the tribe's eyes turned to him, in awe as always of his powerful manner and even exuding appearance. Only when our breaths had been caught, and the only sound that disturbed the silence was the licking of the flames, did he begin to talk, speaking about the past and history of our tribe. The battles and wars we had fought in and how despite all tactics to try and rid of us, we remained a strong and united force. That unlike all other members of civilisation, we were unchanged and uncorrupted. He spoke about the many people who had died to preserve this precious balance and the meaning behind our tribe’s name. I couldn’t help but feel a swell of pride come over me as he did so. To know that our tribe has been through much yet it was still an untouched reserve. But even so, he reminded us of how we were not without threat – not that we needed to be reminded. The Misae tribe was thirsting for our blood and rumours of normal civilisation were resting heavy on our hearts.

Even though this was a celebration, the anniversary of the finding of Taigi tribe, we knew that not all of us would be alive for the next one.