Chapter 2

She didn't recognize where she was. Nothing at all looked familiar. She was spinning in circles, looking for anything that she could recognize, any indication of where she was. Panic started to fill her chest but then she turned and met a set of mismatched eyes. The familiar eyes of Sasuke Uchiha.

Relief flooded through her then. She called out his name but it's inaudible. No matter how loud she said his name he didn't hear her. She began to walk to him but he turned at the same time and walked away from her. She took off running then. It seemed like every step she took towards him, he took two away. She pushed her legs to go as fast as they could go and it seemed like she was catching up. As she closed the distance she reached out to grab his hand. Just as her finger tips brush against his, she was thrown backwards by an unknown force.

She quickly sat up in bed, chest heaving as she tried to calm down her erratic breathing and heart beat. The panic she felt in the dream felt so real. She brought her knees to her chest and rested her forehead on them. As she clasped her hands on the back of her neck she could feel her hair was soaked with sweat.

'I can't stop thinking about it. It scares the hell out of me.'

Sakura looked out the window and saw that it was still pitch black outside. She couldn't have been asleep for more than a few hours. To her right Sasuke was fast asleep. His chest rose and fell with deep even breaths, he was peaceful. She envied him. She reached over and gently brushed the loose strands of hair off his forehead. It was beginning to get very long and covered his face. She personally missed his usual style but understood it was to help cover his Rinnegan. She loved being able to see his face, he was normally so stoic but now he looked peaceful.

She just knew sleep wasn't going to come easily or quickly so she rolled out of bed and tip toed to the front door, opening it as quietly as possible, and went to sit on the steps. She was hoping the cool air would help calm her nerves.

She brought her knees up to her chest again, crossing her arms on top, and resting her chin on her arms. The only light came from the stars in the sky, they dimly lit the field around the cabin. It was very quiet in the surrounding area.

She began to think of all the horribly possible ways yesterday could've gone. Her dying, Sasuke dying, they were all terrible. She felt the warm tears slide down her cheeks as she looked out into the darkness around her.

She had been so deep in thought she didn't hear the door open behind her but she did sense Sasuke's chakra. She didn't bother to turn and face him, she didn't want him to see her crying. They had been together for years but she still hated the thought of him thinking she was weak.

"You okay?" he asked softly. She felt the boards of the porch shift under his weight as he walked over and sat beside her, looking out towards the darkness. "Yeah" Sakura said meekly, knowing he could hear the change in her voice from crying.

"I can't stop thinking about it either."

'Did I hear that correctly?'

Sasuke Uchiha was not one to express his thoughts or feelings. He was a very strong person. She was shocked by how forthcoming he was being. Wanting to hear him, she stayed quiet.

"I've been tearing myself apart. I only let you come with me on this mission because I told myself I'd keep you safe. I let you get hurt, badly. Just the thought of having to go home to Sarada without you. To explain to her that her mother wasn't coming back because I couldn't protect her. I couldn't do it." He took a breath and continued. "But the moment I laid my head to your chest and heard your heartbeat, relief flooded through me. Just know that you can always come to me, with anything. You're not alone, you have me."