Chapter 48

"It's time."

Thor looks pitiful and frightened as you jump up from the bed. As your feet make contact with the carpeted floor, fear hits you harder than you had expected and you drop a couple of inches as your knees buckle beneath you. Thor takes a step towards you, in an attempt to catch you, but you hold yourself strong, straightening back up.

You look Thor in the eye, exhaling deeply. You swallow your panic and quickly stuff your glowing red hands back into the pockets of your sweatpants. They feel hot and tingly, the power desperately trying to escape from your palms.

You keep your voice steady and controlled, surprised by the success of it, despite your trembling body. You hope Thor doesn't notice, you didn't want to concern him by showing incoherent hysteria before a quest.

"I'll get changed. I'll meet you in the throne room in a few minutes, Thor."

Thor nods, rubbing his knuckles, "Are you sure? I don't mind waiting?"

"Honestly, I need a few moments alone..."

Your sincerity changes the expression on his face from worry to understanding. He bows a little to you before turning back towards the door.

"That's okay, Sister, take as long as you need, I will wake the others."

"Oh you don't need to do that... let them sleep..."

Thor suddenly backtracks back into the room, crouching gently in front of you, "I'm waking them because they want to say goodbye before you leave. If they wake to find you gone gallivanting off into the Otherworld and knew I hadn't informed them... you would be meeting me in Niflheim too", Thor smirks sarcastically. You grin at him, finding the normality of his sarcasm comforting.

"I'll be down soon, Thor."

"See you soon, Sister."

The door closes with a light click and you hear Thor running back down the echoing stone halls of the Palace towards the guest quarters where the rest of the team are residing, no doubt sound asleep.

Your legs finally buckle, unable to be revived and you slump onto the bed with your head in your hands despairing. You feel tears flowing hotly down your face, and only notice the glowing red of your powers when you wipe them away with the back of your hand.

No. You wouldn't do this. Not now. You had had four days to break down... you had been so strong.

You stand, turning once in a mindless circle until you walk purposefully to the bathroom. You turn on the silver tap engraved with snakes and splash the cold water over your face, washing away any fatigue and trauma from your eyes.

You had to stay positive. You would see Loki soon.

Hopefully.

Despite the terror of the upcoming quest, the thought of seeing Loki, alive, or well... dead but walking, made you smile. You could hold him again, wrap yourself in his arms once again, even if only for a little while.

You look into the mirror, satisfied with the washing away of any stray negative emotions. You tie your hair in a braid down the side of your head, lying on the stone table with a ponytail would cause unnecessary discomfort. You nod once at your reflection, it would be the last time you saw your face for a while... the Otherworld probably didn't have mirrors.

You wander over to Loki's closet, finding the clothes Odin had insisted you wore in the Otherworld. It was Hela's realm, and you were expected to dress accordingly.

The dress was a plain pale grey, tied around the waist with a thin ribbon. You pull it on over your head, pulling your arms through the long sleeves designed to keep you warm. Frigga had warned you it was cold in Niflheim. You sit back down on the bed and pull on the high, knee-length grey boots, lacing them up carefully to ensure each rung was properly supporting your feet. Crags and snow were basically your two least favourite things in the world... Otherworld... whatever...