Seijoh: Part II

Makki is not surprised to see Iwaizumi the next morning.

The three of them could tell Oikawa was pushing himself to his limits. That stupid feeling of being responsible for everyone makes him set his own well being aside, despite the fact that all of them are capable adults in their late 20s.

A few months ago, there were more people in their group.

Kunimi, the main reason why the group was split up, stayed behind in Miyagi with Yahaba, Kindaichi, and Kyotani. Oikawa took it upon himself to lead everyone in the beginning, the others followed him naturally. It wasn't until Oikawa decided the group needed to leave their hometown that Kunimi had an issue. They argued for a few days, and it drove a wrench in the group's morale. Kunimi seemed to combat every opinion, choice, and order that Oikawa gave, even if it was for the group's survival. The self declared leader felt the need to prove that he was right.

Oikawa took watch almost every night, regardless of there being eight people in the group that could easily cycle every 3 hours. He noted the increasing number of infected he would have to pick off per night.

He went on every supply run, seeing first hand how empty Miyagi was becoming.

He scouted every location that they could move to if there was an emergency. There weren't many, considering the other survivors had taken the best places already.

This went on for weeks, until they couldn't possibly stay in their safehouse anymore. Kyotani was getting more irritable due to his constantly empty stomach. Yahaba didn't care anymore, which made him reckless, nearly getting bitten on a few runs. Kindaichi was trying to keep the group together. He pleaded with Oikawa behind the scenes, trying to convince him that staying may be a better option (even though he didn't believe it himself, just to keep the peace.) Iwaizumi, someone the group would often look towards if they didn't trust Oikawa's judgement, weighed their situation and realized that even if everyone left, it wouldn't solve their supply issue. There were too many in their group, so when they did find food, it was never enough to keep everyone full.

The day they planned on leaving, some of them hadn't packed. Kunimi, Yahaba, and Kyotani to be specific. Oikawa, exhausted from overworking himself, finally broke. He called Kunimi selfish, even lazy. The two of them were nearly at each other's throats if it weren't for Iwaizumi and Mattsun holding them back. Oikawa pushed himself from Iwaizumi's grip before turning his back to the three, "We're leaving, stay if you want."

Seeing Oikawa's personality completely change when under stress, shook Kindaichi. What would stop Oikawa from leaving anyone else behind that didn't agree with him? Sure the two were close, hell they were supposed to be a team. How could he just up and leave them? While it hurt him to stay, it was a choice he made for himself, having lost his sense of safety behind Oikawa.

Makki, Mattsun, and Iwaizumi didn't say much to Oikawa the next few days. They'd walked nearly 60 miles in 36 hours, only stopping when their bodies finally gave out. They were tired, dehydrated, and starving. When all seemed hopeless, they found a small building along a barren stretch of highway, likely an old convenience store. Sure it had been ransacked a few times, but there was still enough canned food for them to stay and regain their strength. Oikawa, though, wasn't eating. How could he when his closest friends nearly starved to death over his own arrogance. Iwaizumi knew Oikawa held onto a lot of guilt, and had been second guessing his decision to leave everyday since. That was the first time they'd seen Oikawa's confidence waiver, and they didn't like it. When he was nervous, they were nervous. Whether he thought so or not, the other's trusted Oikawa with their lives. Since then, they have learned to be hyper aware of his health and mental state.