Trouble and Turmoil

When Rick and Alexis got home from the library, Meredith was waiting... in the bedroom... naked. Her note on the front table stated, "Put Alexis down for a nap."  Rick carried through without question. She knew Rick was with Kate, but she also knew that nothing had happened. Nothing could have happened. He had Alexis with him. There was no point in getting jealous when she could just... give him a reason to miss her more often.

But... before they got very far, as Meredith hovered over Rick, unstrapping his belt, Rick was stopped by a burst of guilt. "Wait," he said forcefully, "Just- hang on."

"Wait? Richard, you're not... having troubles, are you?"

"No!" The writer was defensive, and gestured downward, "Clearly not. I just- I need to understand why you wouldn't come to the park with Alexis and me. I mean, last year you loved taking Alexis out no matter the weather. And if you were in town for a week, you spent six out of those seven days with us doing family things, and now... I mean, you insisted on a girls' night with just Alexis and a night with your friends and you actually avoided family time. I just- I'm trying to understand what changed."

Meredith's brow collapsed inward. "Richard, what are you implying?

"I'm not implying anything. I'm trying to understand why going to the park was such a daunting task."

"You think I like missing out on time with Alexis? I don't. But it's part of my job to make sure I look my best, Richard."

The writer was now bitter. "Is it also part of your job to miss the majority of your daughter's life? Is it part of your job to take every offer you get? I mean, come on, Meredith. It has to bother you that you're gone as much as you are."

The woman looked at her husband without a single emotion but anger in her mind. "You know what, Richard, I think we're done here." Meredith then removed herself from Rick. While she pulled her robe on, and Rick called after her, she ignored him, and walked away. Richard then let out a sigh as his wife walked out of view, causing him to drop his head to the pillow. He then shook his head at the ceiling in frustration and disappointment.

After a moment, he pulled himself together, resealing his zipper and belt before walking out after her. When he got out, he found her in the kitchen with an empty glass in her hands as she was beginning to fill it with water. "Meredith," he said far more softly than he'd spoken to her in the bedroom, "I'm sorry. I just- I can't understand why you seem so distant lately."

"You think I enjoy this," the actress hollered through growing tears. "I don't! But this is my career, Richard! I can't just put my career on hold until Alexis is eighteen and she doesn't need me anymore!"

"I know," Rick said, still as calm as ever. "I'm not asking you to. I'm just- I miss you."

Meredith sighed. "I know. I miss you too, and I miss Alexis when I'm gone. I just- I have to do this Rick."

"I know." He then placed his hands on her hips and pulled her close. She placed her hand on his chest before looking into his eyes. Rick then told her, "I love you."

Meredith breathed, a twinge of guilt smashing into her before she looked up to him and told him without meaning it, "I love you too."

~~~~~~~~

Back at her home, when Kate walked through the front door, she found her father sitting exactly where he was supposed to be. "Hey dad," she cooed.

"Back already," the man slurred out.

Kate looked at the time, sighed and muttered under her breath, "Drunk already?"

"How's our writer," the man asked, oblivious to his daughter's frustration.