19 Days Prior - Part 2

Once Bob and Lizzie disappeared behind the church wooden door, Aubrey puts both her hands over her face, trying to make sense of everything.

What happened inside that church is something she'd never experienced before. She was on the verge of fainting as if her consciousness was abruptly being ripped out. The urge to scream out of rage and the agony that shattered her body was horrifying. She fought so hard not to lose herself there.

What's happening to her? Is she sick like Bob has said? But why is she feeling fine now?

Contemplating going back inside, Aubrey glances at the old building in front of her, and her stomach churns. No, she doesn't want to go back there. Even though she can't put a finger on it, something about the church is off. Plus, the excruciating moments she endured during the sermon are still fresh in her head. It's too painful even just to think of it.

The other strange thing also took place when she talked to Bob a few minutes ago. Something inside her was sucking her in. She thought she was about to pass out but she didn't. She spoke and moved mindlessly as if her body was disconnected from her brain. Was she hallucinating? Or had she maybe some kind of blackout?

Aside from that, she's been having weird stuff going on inside her head lately. She's been hearing things. It started with rough breathing, sometimes accompanied by a faint growl. Some other days she heard a laugh. Not the kind that brought her joy, it often gave her a twist in the gut. But since the sound was weak and felt so far away, Aubrey wasn't sure if it was real or she was just imagining it.

However, what happened last night in the living room changed the whole game.

The thing spoke, loud and clear. It was a low throaty sound that came from deep within. It mentioned her mother's name as if it knew her. And it was the very voice that she heard a few minutes ago when she talked to Bob.

Maybe I'm going crazy. Maybe Bob is right about me seeing Sandra again.

With a shiver coursing her entire body, Aubrey once again turns her head to peek at the big red-brick building with a pointy roof and a cross on top. It has been her second home after her bedroom in Lorraine's house. Not only does she feel accepted in the community, but the church also connects her to her mother in a way; it gives her an identity.

But can she still call it her second home now?

As much as she wants an answer, she doesn't want to stay here any longer. Someone from the congregation might find her and she's not in the mood of answering questions. With a loud grunt, she gets up from the bench. Once she makes sure she can walk fine, she trudges away, leaving the church front yard.

Being one of the oldest buildings in the village, the church was built right in the middle of the town center. But since it's a Sabbath day, everything is closed. Not that she can do a lot with her purse still sitting on the pew at church. All she can do now is walk home. Luckily, she doesn't need to worry about getting into the house without a key since the window in her bedroom doesn't lock properly. It's been like that for some time but she doesn't want to bother Lorraine with it. Money has been tight.

Aubrey strides along the narrow pavement, hoping no one spots her, and stops her for small talk. When she finally exits the town and begins to walk on the tapering street through the pine forest, she releases a breath of relief.

The sun is still low this morning, streaming lazily through the pine trees. The sound of the leaves rustling when a gust of wind blows over is hypnotizing. Aubrey feels the tension gradually leave her body as she saunters along the street and hums her favorite song. Her jet-black hair that's pulled into a ponytail sways back and forth while she walks. The wind caresses her exposed neck.