7 | FINISH HER

I woke up in a strange corridor and found myself under weathered stone arches in a broken labyrinth and not on Highway 12 in a Californian suburb.

I probably should have freaked out.

A strange sensation of familiarity overcame me. Still, I didn't understand where I was or how I'd gotten there.

"Help!"

My brother's plea cut through my clouded mind.

Rising to my feet, I dusted myself off. My katana was in my hand but the shotgun was back with the car.

The Banshee's cackle echoed and I put my hand to the cold stone wall, letting it guide me in the darkness as I walked with care through the corridors, stepping over puddles of murky water.

Above me was the open night sky. I was in some kind of roofless stone ruins, but it was a sky I had never seen before. I knew those stars didn't hang over our Earth. That didn't faze me though. Like I said, my newfound senses and energy were tingling and I was stronger and rejuvenated, despite having my butt thrashed by an old hag.

At the end of the corridor I stepped under a doorway. I turned left down a new corridor and saw a series of small ancient archways forming a hallway. The Banshee could lurk behind any of them so I raised my sword in front of me and took cautious yet determined steps forward.

I passed through the first archway, eyes darting up and all around, trying not to let goosebumps crawl up my spine in waves. Though I heard the she-demon's evil laugh, I couldn't quite tell where the echo originated.

After the second archway I found myself in a small room with thick shadows on either side of me. It became quiet as a crypt and I felt like somebody was watching my back. My skin began to crawl. My instincts told me to turn around.

As I did, my sword met the claws of the Banshee with a loud clash. Sparks of magic energy flew. Then she retreated into the shadows.

I started after her but her voice sounded behind me.

"You've meddled too deep, mortal," said the hag.

She was atop a thick wall and held my brother by his face, her filthy hand clamped over his mouth, muffling his cries. "When I'm done slicing him to bits, I'll finish your mom off too. Then you!" Her hands and claws were glowing now as she too drew strength from this ancient place. Terror filled my brother's eyes.

My anger bubbled, built up inside me and I unleashed it. Celtic knots swirled around me, circling my entire body, and not just my left arm this time.

I leapt at her, dashing through the air. Sword met claws again. The old hag and I were locked in combat and she snarled at me with bloody fangs. I swung, swiped, and stabbed, but she danced about me, her tattered dress twirling in the tendrils of the mist.

She attacked me then and scored a hit, her claws wet with my blood. Ouch. Ignore the cold burning sensation. My knees were not wobbling from pain or fear. Not at all.

I just need an opening.

Out of my peripheral I caught the glow of Nehemiah's staff.

I brought my sword back, poised for a killing stroke.

"Ukuqhuma!" he yelled as a purple fireball laced with electric sparks flew from his staff and hit the Banshee.

She soared up and over me.

I leapt up to meet her, imbued with Luck. My katana slashed the hag across the torso, then gravity tugged me down. I landed on my sneakers, sliding on rubble into a puddle of water. She crashed behind me.