Chapter Fifty-Three

The next day, Evie sat at her desk in Witchy Woo. She was still working on her bracelet when the bell above the door chimed, alerting her to the werewolf's presence. She glanced up, met his gaze and took a deep breath.

"Did you get my letter?" he asked softly.

"I did," she said with a nod. "How did you know where to find me?"

"I came here first. Then I followed you."

She cracked the faintest of smiles. "Creep."

"I know."

"The three little pigs?" Her eyebrow raised of its own accord.

"I wanted to understand some of your mortal life. I was gonna use that Shakira song, she-wolf, but thought that might've been a little too on the nose."

So he'd really thought about it. Evie didn't care about material things. Sure, they were bonuses- but it wasn't what she wanted from a partner. Lorcan had tried to show her that he cared. He'd taken her interests into account and made an effort to understand her.

She rubbed her lips together contemplatively, asking, "What do you want from me?"

"Everything," the King responded without hesitation.

Puh.

"You mean that?"

"I'm nothing without you little witch." He came closer, closer still, eating up the space between them. "You make me get out of bed in the morning. You make me shave and shower and function."

"What about-"

"Fuck our problems. Fuck everything standing in the way. Fuck the war, we'll end it. Fuck Annaliese, fuck Chronos, fuck me. Nothing comes above you and your wellbeing. I'll lay my life down for you, woman. I'll be whatever you need me to be. That's a promise."

Her eyes shimmered. So the werewolf means business. Good. Evie didn't plan on sending him away again.

"Okay."

"Tell me where you want me. Do you want me to leave? Stay? I'll do whatever you say."

"You can come back," she whispered.

His face lit up with hope. "You'll have me back?"

"I'll have you back, daft werewolf. But we're doing this on my terms."

He nodded with dizzying speed. "Forever and always."

"I'm not going back to your castle."

"I understand that."

"I'm going to go to my house and we're going to deal with this like normal people who don't have freaky supernatural bonds between them. Well, you know, as best as we can."

"Anything you want. Everything you want."

He kissed her softly, shocked she was still kissing him back. Evie still wanted him. She had gotten attached to her werewolf. She wanted to start the future with him. She wanted to be the cause of what she'd seen in that vision. She'd seen him happy. She wanted to be involved.

She'd seen that plastic object hanging around his neck in another vision. A part of Evie was wondering what it was. Another part of her already knew.

When he pulled away, she turned back to her bracelet and continued to modify it. He watched her, somehow unfazed by the witchy stuff.

"This won't happen again," he told her, speaking from the heart. "I want you to hate me for this. Punish me. Make me suffer."

"I will." He sucked in a deep breath. "I'm not someone you can walk over and take your anger out on."