Chapter Four: Second Recollection

Meira felt slightly better once the two Telepaths in front of her settled in their seats around her. She'd get this mess in her brain figured out, and then she'd really be mostly restored. She'd be yet another step closer to victory, and the right direction.

"Okay," she breathed. "Are you going to enter my mind again?"

The two shared a look. "Considering your response to a few minutes ago, we don't think that would be the wisest choice," Granite said. Meira nodded. She didn't know exactly what triggered that type of reaction. "Besides, though we weren't able to see completely everything (you really are very good at blocking out things you don't want anyone but yourself to see), we got for now what we needed," Granite finished.

She nodded again, though the rest of what he said blurred in the back of her mind. She was still thinking about her reaction, what might have caused it. Her eyebrows creased deeper together. Upon further thought, yes, she did know what had caused her to black out earlier. It was a memory, something having to do with darkness, pain, and people. And that was all she could remember, besides the obvious, from her past with the Neverseen. She was certain this was the trigger. She remembered the overwhelming pain that beckoned her into that terrible yet restful darkness of cryosleep.

Meira turned pale. In order to find out the truth about her past-- about what was happening to her now-- she had to face all those terrible things she only wished she could forget. Everything that she had previously gone through, she must relive.

Before, she felt like losing her memories had been a kind of curse. Now, she couldn't help but think that perhaps it was a blessing. Ignorance is bliss, after all, and Meira didn't know what they'd discover, other than it would be horrific.

Her changed to a dark grey color as the fear clouded around her. She could almost see it in the air, like heavy, vapor-filled rainclouds-- no, more like plumes of smoke-- hanging thickly in the air, threatening to choke the life and bravery out of her.

But facing those rainclouds reminded her that she could not give up now. Not when she was so close. So close to answers, to revelation, to hope. Because, she knew, right now she was scared. Scared beyond anything in her life, anything that she had ever faced. She was confused about everything happening around her, and she had not the slightest notion of what to do next. A feeling constantly lingered in her gut-- she was way out of her depth in everything at the moment, and nothing had ever terrified her more. The constant feeling of uncertainty made her restless.

But she knew that the only way to quell that was to search her memories-- face her fears. She despised the notion, but also chose to embrace it. And so, with a quick breath out, said, "No, I actually think it would be the wisest choice. I think this time around-- I think I'll be okay." And she did think that, there wasn't a doubt in her mind. She was strong now, and prepared this time. This time, she would face the music and play the dance.

She would not let the fear win, overwhelming her. Just like an ancient medieval warrior of her time, she would fight until her very last.

And even then, she would continue ever onwards.

Granite and Forkle shared another look, then Granite asked, "Are you sure?"

"Positively," Meira said, the hint of a smile upon her features. She was ready. She did not doubt herself. Though she had been through much, it never changed her disposition on herself. Whatever this new ability might be-- she still had faith. She had faced many other things and had grown, and remained relatively unscathed.

As the Telepaths reached to dive into her subconscious once more, Meira repeated to herself that it was the next right thing. Somehow, that made the terror more manageable.