Chapter 4- 単眼的な人々 / トーマ

Thoma glances at the bottles of dandelion wine that he had so cheerfully brought to Inazuma from Mondstadt, the land of his birth. He had been in quite the high spirits, until he finally passed through, and realised that it wasn't all as good as he'd initially thought it would be. He caresses the bottle in his hands and sighs as he turns back to Lady Kamisato. The silver haired woman brings her fan in front of her face and eyes his arms.

"Quite weak looking, as expected of a young boy. You're not suitable for heavy work. Would you like to do the housework instead?" she kindly says, her silver eyes seeming less cold and more soft now. Thoma feels his heart rate calm down as he nods at her gentle words.

"I'd be quite delighted to, so long as it helps the Yashiro Commission and the Kamisato household." he bows down respectfully, as is expected of him. 

"You are an honourable boy. It seems, like every other lie woven by the Raiden Shogun, the fact that outsiders were devils was also quite obviously a lie." she states boldly, a statement the kind of which Thoma has never heard before. People are usually meek when it comes to the Narukami Ogosho, except for the members of the Yashiro Commission, perhaps.

"I know how to sew and cook and-" Thoma tries to tell her further about his abilities but she just shakes her head disapprovingly.

"Your current abilities will not satisfy. Furuta will teach you all you need to know, for your mannerisms and abilities are akin to a foreigner's, as you are. You must learn of Inazuma's culture and shape your abilities to fit Inazuman taste and culture." she states strictly as she points to a blonde haired elder woman beside her, who Thoma thinks is quite beautiful.

"Hayare, ami." Furuta taps her finger restlessly on her lap. Thoma knows basic Inazuman but is at a loss hearing words such as these. He just doesn't know what they mean.

"Its basic Inazuman slang. Hayare means 'to grow impatient' and ami means 'friend. What does this sentence mean, pray tell?" Lady Kamisato narrows her icy eyes at him.

"My friend's impatient?" Thoma answers with hesitance in his voice and Lady Kamisato shakes her head again in the same disapproving manner as before.

"I am impatient, friend. That is what it means. Do not let yourself be like those tanganteki na hitobito." she glares at him warningly. Thoma, understanding these words, nods his head.

"Well then, Furuta. I leave him in your care." Lady Kamisato waves at the the blonde woman, who smiles politely, not in a warm manner, at Thoma.

The atmosphere here is quite different from Mondstadt, where warmth is important. To be polite is to be social and inclusive in Inazuma. It is stifling, but a necessary mindset.

"I'm ready." Thoma smiles politely.

"Say ari from now now on, Thoma." Lady Kamisato instructs him.

"Ari." Thoma replies.

Hayare- impatient
Ami- friend
単眼的な人々- tanganteki na hitobito- narrow minded people
Ari- yes/understood