Chapter 1

I stared up out my grey concrete ceiling. The same ceiling I've had to stare at for almost three years. Everyone else my age was probably out partying and getting drunk. I was in maximum security prison, San Quenton. Apparently what I was charged for made me too dangerous for juvenile detention centers. Those little bitches were just scared of me.

I cringed as I heard my rusty cell door slide open. "Let's go inmate" a guard growled at me. "Go where?" "Courtyard time, now lets go" he said, and I just laughed. "I'm not going anywhere with you" I said, and then I felt the metal nightstick collide with my stomach. I sat up from my bed and started coughing.

"C'mon. Get up Jauregui. I thought you wanted a fight" he laughed as he grabbed my hair and hoisted me up to my feet. "C'mon pretty girl, you're not gonna fight back?" he laughed in my face. Officer Mendez was a crooked cop. He is a twisted son of a bitch who's made sure to be extra cruel to me since I got here. As long as I did what he said, I was gonna get out of here.

"Here kid, take these and deliver em to Erika" he said as he slid a small bag of cocaine into my hand. "Yeah yeah yeah, I got it" I said and walked out. I took the path out to the courtyard, earning some whistles as I walked out. "Aye Jauregui!" One yelled. "Let me hit that mama" another yelled. I just rolled my eyes and kept on walking. I had a damn job to do.

I walked across the yard and over to the bench press, where Erika and her gang would be. "Erika" I called out, and they all looked my way. I just reached into my bra and handed her the bag. "Good job Jau-" she paused. "Where the fuck is the rest of it?" she asked. "That's all I got. I'm just the dealer" I said. "That's bullshit. Check her".

This is how it worked. I snuck around the drugs for Mendez, then I got fucked up when he doesn't deliver what he promises. I get black eyes, a broken nose, and even a wrist one time. This was how I survived in here, even though I was barely living. But I was still alive. I had to get out so I could keep her alive. Everything I did was for her.

"Where's the rest?" Erika yelled. "I don't fucking know" I said, preparing for a fight. "You don't know, huh? Get her fuckin' legs man" she yelled, and then one of them pulled a knife. Son of a bitch. Not today. I was running. There was really nowhere I could go for the next hour, but I had to try. I gotta stay alive. I gotta get out of here.

I ran and ran, but I knew I had to throw them off somehow. I ran over to the pull-up bar, jumping on it and then climbing on top of it. I stood and balanced myself on top of it, avoiding swipes of the knife as they tried to attack me. Eventually they tried to climb up, giving me a chance to kick the knife out of their hand. I jumped down and held it at them. "Who wants some?" I yelled, clenching tightly to the knife like my life depended on it. "Try me bitches".

Everything was going well for me right now. They left me alone after that, for the rest of that day. At about three o'clock, it was time we started getting calls. I went up to the room like I do every time, but I was stopped. "No one here for you today kid". "Stop fucking with me, she's always here" I said as I tried to push through him. He pushed me back into the ground, "No one is here for you inmate. Back to your cell". I wasn't going anywhere.

He called more guards over, and they dragged me back to my cell kicking. They threw me in and locked my cell. "No one is here for you kid. Now shut the hell up or you'll be thrown in solitary" they growled and I walked off. This doesn't make any sense. She always comes to see me. Every chance she gets.

So here I was again, staring at the ceiling. I was 14 when I got in here, and now I'm 17. 3 of my birthdays and years I've should've been in school were spent in here. It was 9 at night when my cell opened again. "Let's go kid" I heard. "Where am I going?" "Home" the voice said. I sat up at that, knowing it had to be a joke. "Stop playing with me" I said, but they just handed me all my stuff. I quickly showered and then walked with the guards to exit. "Who bailed me out?" I asked as they opened the gates, revealing my best friend in the world.

I immediately dropped my bag and ran into her arms. "I missed you so much Lo" she cried as she held me. "Thank you Dinah. Thank you so much" I whispered as we held each other. "Let's get the hell out of here" she said, pulling back. "Yeah. Who drove you?" I asked as we walked to her car. "I did" she laughed, "I got my license while you were in". "Okay, and who bailed me out?" I asked next.

This time she was silent, and I knew she was hiding something. "Dinah, who the hell bailed me out?" I asked a little more angry as we got in the car. "Lauren, please just listen. I bailed you out, okay? Let's leave it at that" she said as she started to drive. "Who'd you get the money from?" "Ms. Lovato bailed you out" she said, and I relaxed. I thought she got it illegally. She didn't take money from the gang that got me sent there. "Okay. Good".

She turned on the radio and we sat in comfortable silence. I couldn't recognize any of it. All I know is everything had a techno beat thrown into it and they were either about hoes, drugs, or money. "The hell? Is this song teaching you how to make cocaine?" I asked, and Dinah just laughed. "I swear to God this is teaching you how to make cocaine. I mean 'whip it through the glass'?" "That's music now Lo. Welcome back to the outside" she laughed at me. I just stuck my head out the window and breathed in the fresh air. "It's good to be outside again, DJ....real good".

As happy as I was, something in the back of my mind was still bothering me. I'm out here, in the open again. In jail, I couldn't be bothered. They couldn't get to me in max security. "Who all knows that I'm out now?" "Me, you, Ms.Lovato and her girlfriend. And...your parents" she mumbled out the last part. "What D?" She sighed, "Your parents, they were contacted to come and sign you out. They didn't, but they gave their consent and that was enough".

My parents and I will never be the same, but I know they wouldn't put me in danger....well. Wouldn't put me in danger again. Not after sending me to jail the first time. "C'mon Lo, forget about em. It's Laurinah against the world again. Just like freshman year, right?" I looked over and saw her hand out, and I took it. "Just you and I,Dmac."At least, until the gang comes between us.

Being friends with me already puts her and everyone I love in danger.