Chapter 4

*****Lauren's POV*****

The kid handed me a twenty and I slid the pill into his hand. He looked at me with a stupid look, and I already knew he was about to start some shit. It don't even matter though. The gun on my waistband would definitely shut him up. Whether I gotta use it or not.

"I thought I got the whole bag. I want more for my money." God, he's such a bitch. No wonder he turned to drugs to be happy.

I just laughed and leaned back against the wall. "Does this look like a fucking CVS to you? Cause as far as I'm concerned, this was a drug deal. And I was the dealer."

I fucking hated doing this. Being trapped in the life of drugs and gangs. This was only to help my little sister. The little sister that I can't even find right now. She didn't deserve to be missing right now. I shouldn't have to do this shit just to get her back. My life was just as important as hers, and I needed to be alive and well to find her.

"You better give me back my fucking money o-."

"Or what? You gonna snitch? You gonna go call the cops or something?" I moved off the wall and got in his face. "You don't know who the fuck you're dealing with. I will and can kill you within the next five minutes in thirty-seven different ways. So you're gonna leave here right now, not telling anyone. And if I find out you did..." I paused and pulled my switchblade out my pocket, flashing it off to scare him. "I will use this to cut your voice box out your throat and leave it on the front porch of your house as a present for your family. We clear?"

He nodded frantically and ran down the hallway. Little punk bitch didn't know who the fuck he was dealing with. I did probably go a little too far when I said that shit about leaving his throat on his porch to fuck with his family. That wasn't really necessary, but it sure did scare the shit out of him. Ya know the deal, I can't have no loose ends in this business.

After doing my rounds for the day, I sold the whole bag. Made a whole $500 dollars just in my hour of working. Since I sold my whole bag early enough, I decided to head back to class. I may not show it, but my education means a lot to me. Life can't always be about making easy money, can it?

I was on my way to class when I realized I was supposed to be at lunch. Which means Dinah was probably looking for me... Or with Normani. Dinah, being as predictable as she is, is drooling over Normani from across the cafeteria.  If their still not together, Ima need to talk to Mani. They'd be such a cute couple anyway, so why deny that public of that cuteness?

When I sit next to Dinah, she doesn't even notice. She just stays staring at Normani with her friends. "DJ... Dinah... " I try, but she still stares. Don't get me wrong though, Normani is fine as fuck, but this is just ridiculous. Deciding to put her out of her own misery, I lightly punched her in the shoulder.

"Ow! What the hell, Lo?" Dinah whined and rubbed her arm, but I did have her attention now. "I'm sorry D, but you were drooling over that girl again." She sighed and laid her head down on table, probably depressed from her one-sided love. She had been crushing on this girl since freshman year at least. That's four years of torture for this girl that she didn't deserve.

"Dinah, just ask her out. What's the worst that could happen if you do?" I moved closer to her so that we're face to face. "I can't go through that rejection, Lauren" she sighed. Dinah may appear to be loud and out-there, but that was the exact opposite of what she was. Dinah was insecure, shy, and yet, she was carefree at the same time. I could see it all through her eyes. It's just something I could always do with her.

"You know what, DJ? I got this." I dusted off my shoulders and stood up, making my way over to Normani's table. When I got there, I leaned against the table. "Hey Normani," I turned my attention to the rest of the table, "and friends."

"Hi Lauren" they cooed together. Believe it or not, a lot of girls here found me attractive. Jailbird, tatted up, bad girl was really a hot look to them. The girls couldn't get enough of me, and that pissed off a lot of people. Their friends, parents, and boyfriends. I was just loving the attention.

"Can I help you, Lauren" Normani asked. Normani really never liked me that much. She was closer to Camila then we ever were, but we were still friends. After Camila was went missing, Normani had turned on me completely. Everyone led her to believe that I hurt my sister, and that I had ultimately killed her. In fact, she was there when they put me in jail. And she looked content with the judge's decision. I honestly just think she was looking for closure. Like everyone else in this city.

"It's actually not me who needs the helping. It's Hansen, over there."

Normani looks past me and over at Dinah, who is most likely snapchatting her entire life. "What about Dinah, Lauren?"

"Dinah has been having a very rough time with basketball lately. She just hasn't been able to focus. I really think it might have something to do with you guys'cheer practice being in the gym during her practice. Honestly, I can't honestly can't blame her." 

Normani just scoffed. "I'm sorry that you and Hansen can't control your wild-like hormones, but that is not my problem. And why should I even be listening to you? With you in prison, I've gotten to know Dinah. She's not some pervert like you are."

I clutched at my heart dramatically, faking hurt. "Ms. Kordei, I am hurt." I leaned across the table, the smirk returning to my face. "If you know that Dinah is such a good person, why don't you let her take you out this Friday?"

"How do you know that we don't already have plans?"

"Is that so" I tease, trying to get her to crack. 

Normani nodded proudly. "Dinah is actually taking me to see 'Lights Out' this weekend. She's supposed to pick me up at eight. So why don't you mind your own business and stop corrupting my cheerleaders?"

"Of course, your highness" I bow sarcastically. When I got back to Dinah, she instantly started to panic.

"What did you do? What did she say to you? Did she ask about me? Oh God. She hates me now, doesn't she? Lauren, what did y-". 

I just shushed her, placing my finger on her lip. "Just pick her up at eight this Friday. And bring money for the popcorn. Girls like when you pay."