chapter 7

I woke up in a white room. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's a hospital. I feel groggy, and unclean. Despite the fact that whatever I'm laying on is comfortable, I have no further knowledge of my surroundings. When my vision finally comes into focus, I search the room for anything recognizable. A steady beep gives away that in hooked up into a heart monitor. Beside me on the right is a very organized sink, along with a few cabinets. In my left is a curtain, probably another patient residing on the other side. On the foot of the long bed is a basket with miscellaneous things like candles and cinnamon candies. A few long moments pass before a woman enters the room. Her hair was cut into a Bob, which was barely at her jawline, and was blonde. She appeared to be in her late 30s to early 40s, due to her laugh lines and other wrinkles, but was obviously trying to cover it with fake tan.

"Hello, hun." She greets with a friendly southern accent,"I'm your nurse, you can call me sherry, or nurse Harper." I give a slight nod, not trusting my voice, "looks like you're recovering well Ms. Lancaster."

"Karma." I correct, "what happened to me?" I ask in a low tone.

"You appear.." She pauses, checking the little clipboard she has in her left hand, "To have had a panic attack and lost conciousness. One of your neighbors heard a bang and when you didn't answer your door, or telephone, they called 9-1-1." Her blue eyes flickered in my direction.

"I.. I wouldn't know why..." lies. I know exactly what caused it and the answer is that red headed demon.

The beep of the heart monitor fills the room. I dont break eye contact, and it seems like an eternity before she speaks again.

"Well, a girl named Hannah is here to see you, says she's your sister."

In this instant, my heart almost stops— in the metaphorical sense— but I wished it had been literally.