19. Still Haven't Found

This is the last chapter except for the epilogue, and I'm sorry to say it but I'm so glad we've reached the end. Its finally time for me to leave Kick the Crown and everyone be. Thank you for all the support.

____________________________________________________

Nate and I strode into Springbreak the next morning, hand in hand. Danni greeted us with a huge grin, waving her violet hair away from her face.

"Its a good job you guys came back so early because literally no one's been in to record. No one. I've been all alone in this place!" She exclaimed, running from behind the counter. "Also," she added, "Its about time the two of you shacked up!"

We laughed at her, and Nate patted her on the head before kissing me quickly and bounding down the stairs to the studio. I hung back, grinning at Danni. "Thanks for booking us in on such short notice," I said.

"Oh please," She waved my thanks away. "That place practically belongs to you guys now, although I have been looking after that huge piano you have down there. Figured you'd appreciate it."

"Thanks, Danni, I really do." I grinned, hugging her again. "So, you heard about... Nate?"

She nodded sombrely. "Its for the best, Ly. Don't go blaming yourself, remember I've known your guys since before they were your guys. And yeah, you guys make some kickass music, but this corporate, label-controlled puppet KTC's become?" She let out a deep breath. "That's not what you're about."

I nodded, biting my lip. "I know. I just can't help but feel kinda guilty, you know?"

She shrugged lightly. "I get it. But this is probably the best thing that could've happened to the band. This way the four of you are free to find new paths and write new kickass music."

I laughed at that, skipping down the steps and calling, "I don't know what we'd have done without you, Danni!" as I went.

Number Four was uncharacteristically quiet as I slid through the door, and the shock of our studio being silent wiped the smile from my face. My guys were sat on the old sofa, none of them speaking, just an uncomfortable quiet lingering in the air. I took in the state of the room, still as dirty and gross as it had been when we left it, and breathed in the smell of home.

"Can you believe this is where it all started?" I blurted out, staring around the room. "This is where we became famous, it's where we were happiest, it's where we all found out who we were."

Chris snorted. "Didn't peg you for the sentimental type."

"And I didn't peg you for the type to turn on your best friends in the name of fame," I shot back.

"Ly," Nate sighed, resigned. "Chris. Come on."

"I think we should buy this place," Freddie piped up.

Chris, Nate and I started at him.

"Seriously," Fred insisted. "Think about it. We have a shit ton of money now, right? Odds are, Kick the Crown will only ever play one more show, tonight in New York. But I know we'll all still be doing something to do with music, and this way we get the studios upstairs to use too. Danni can stay, we'll pay her and stuff. Just... I don't want to let this place go, even if we're not in the band anymore."

Nate rested his arms on top of his head, looking up at the ceiling. "You guys could be a three person band just fine. It'd still be great."

I shook my head. "It wouldn't work. We'd need someone to play bass, and that'd mean inviting a stranger into the band. You're at least half of the song writing process. You're a quarter of the image. You're... Well, I guess you were what kept us Kick the Crown, you know?"