ruby

Flashing lights. Heavy beats. Smell of cigarettes mixed with sticky sensation of sweat and spilled drinks. A perfect place for drunken patrons to dance the night away, sinking further down their desire and emotions.

David wasn't one to shy away from the club, but after having to take care of his friends who were too gone for their own good, he can't help but wanted to go back to the comfort of his apartment. Amber liquid swirled in a glass following his hand movement as he stood in the corner of the bar area near a wall. At the corner of his eyes, he noticed his friends were dancing (more like jumping and fumbling around in a mess from his perspective) not far from where he was standing. Using any rationality that was spared from the alcohol in his system, he decided to wait for them from afar to avoid getting shove and have any drinks spill on him.

"Sin and tonic, please."

A sweet voice said beside him. It was an unusual name for a drink that David can't help but took a quick glance to the owner of the peculiar order. Under the dark lightings of the club, he could make out that it was a young woman with dark hair. He noticed her lips, they are painted in a shade of red that compliments her dark eyes- he averted his eyes back to his own drink- the woman noticed his stare.

David took a sip of his whiskey. He can't help but took another glance of the smaller woman. Her order got him curious. The woman smiled as she got her drinks from the bartender. It looked like a typical gin and tonic drink, yet the colour is different. The drink is served in a tall glass filled with ice. However, instead of the typical clear liquid, the drink was in a shade of dark red. At the bottom of the glass seemed to be black syrup that he has never seen being poured in the typical gin and tonic. The drink darkened as the woman swirled it with a straw.

David raised his eyebrows as he took another sip of his own drink. The woman caught his stare and smiled. Even with his hazy vision, her red lips looked so plump and soft- like a rose waiting for him to inspect and admire its alluring beauty under the neon lights. David could feel himself heating up. He couldn't help but feel the need to explain himself.

"That's a strange drink, I have never seen it before." 

Her red lips lift to a grin. His stomach felt funny as he watched her approaching him. Time seemed to slow down as he traced the outline of her waist and hip with his eyes. His throat felt dry as she advanced closer. A faint sweet scent infiltrated his senses. Among the smell of cigarettes and alcohol; a burning sensation spread in his stomach. 

"It's a secret menu of this club."

Her voice dripped with honey and her eyes- through thick lashes- are glistening ruby orbs. David blinked. It was probably because of the flashing lights mixed with the alcohol in his system.

"Are you a regular?" 

For her to know a secret menu she is likely a regular patron of the club, David mused. The woman nodded.

"I'm Bella," she sipped her burgundy colour drink. "You look familiar, have we met before?"

David grins in amusement. He shook his head. 

"No, I don't think so. I don't think I will ever forget meeting someone like you."

Bella raised her brows and giggled. 

"Oi! David come join us!" 

David grimaced as his friend crash into him with his full weight and screamed into his ear. He was about to apologise to the woman, Bella, if he didn't mishear her. However, she was no longer in front of him. His friends managed to push him into the crowd in the middle of the dance floor before David could protest. As he got shoved into the crowd, he glimpsed a flicker of ruby- in a blink of an eye- it disappears among the silhouettes of drunken patrons.