The three packed and continued their journey with a new companion.

They trudged through a field and Clara did her best to control her fear and worry that her son could be dead.

After awhile, Puddleglum said, "You see?" They stood in front of the river. "No bridge."

Clara shook her head. "They won't be a problem. I can freeze the river and make it solid enough for us to cross safely."

Puddleglum glanced at her. "We could slip on the ice."

Clara's voice took on a foreign icy tone. "Puddleglum, nothing will stop me from getting to my son; dead or alive."

Eustace frowned as he stared at the river. "Who says no bridge? I'm sure we'll be able to cross this on foot. If we can't, Clara can freeze the water."

They began crossing the rocks and water froze around Clara's feet. As they crossed, Puddleglum kept muttering, "Oh dear" and "Oh" in a nervous manner.

They reached the other side and Clara smirked triumphantly. "We've made it." She glanced at the water to see random patches of ice. "Whoops." She waved her hand and the ice instantly melted.

Puddleglum said, "Oh" as he held out his walking stick. Jill took it and held it as he walked onto the bank.

Jill turned and stated, "See? That wasn't difficult at all."

Eustace pointed in another direction. "That looks the best way up."

"No," Puddleglum argued. "Giants live up there."

"Giants?!"

"I thought the owls would have told you."

Eustace glanced between his friend and the Queen. "Cheer up, Pole, Clara. Some Giants in Narnia are friendly. We'll find your son, Clara." He turned to Puddleglum. "Are these at peace or at war?"

"At peace. Officially. But they were bay beaten in several savage battles and now they have to pay tribute. Makes them rather irritable. Much like the Queen's current mood. My apologies."

Clara huffed and glared at Puddleglum.

"I don't like the sound of irritable Giants," Jill said.

"Oh come on," Eustace replied as he walked past her.

The three followed Puddleglum up the mountain and through the valley.

They eventually stopped to look. Eustace pointed to a bird and whispered, "Look up there."

"I think I might enjoy adventures after all," Jill commented.

"We haven't had any yet," Puddleglum told her.

Clara frowned and muttered, "This whole journey has been an adventure. Not the most enjoyable of adventures, but we are in one nonetheless."

Eustace sighed and led the others down the hill.

They continued walking through the valley.

After a short while, Puddleglum ordered, "Stop! Shh!" A dragon was breathing fire.

Eustace ran towards the dragon and after a moment, Clara followed.

Puddleglum reached a hand out as he said, "No, no, no."

Eustace and Clara approached the dragon and touched it gently. The dragon instantly calmed and flew away. Jill and Puddleglum stared in awe.

As Eustace and Jill returned to the others, the former said, "Clara and I knew he wouldn't hurt us."

"How did you know?" Jill asked.

"I know a thing or two about dragons and Clara understands their gracefulness."

"Yes, but you don't know everything, but now we can move on in peace," Puddleglum said as he walked away.

As they walked, Eustace said, "When we heard about the ruined city, I think we imagined it the Giants were dead."

"Oh, no, that's a long way ahead. The Giants ahead is more a different race. And very much alive."

"We seem to be getting closer to that gorge," Jill noted.

"Yes we are I shouldn't wonder."

"Funny rocks."

"Mmm."

"If you came over here when it was half-dark, you might really believe those piles of rocks were giants."

"No, no."

Clara tilted her head as she stared at the rocks and called, "Jill-"

Jill nodded, ran up to Puddleglum and pointed behind them and said, "Look! There! You can almost believe the thing on top is a head. And those things sticking out on either side could be ears!" She gasped as they began moving.

"Don't stop," Puddleglum and Clara ordered as the Giants began to stand.

"Keep walking," Puddleglum added. "Quick, straight ahead. Don't look at them. Do not look at them."

One of the Giants threw a rock and it landed in front of the four.

"Whatever you do, don't run," Puddleglum and Clara said.

"They've seen us!" Jill cried.

The Giants continued throwing rocks.

"One of those rocks hits us-" Puddleglum began.

"We'll be flattened!" Eustace exclaimed.

"Oh there's no shelter!" Jill yelled as they began jogging.

"Don't panic, mates," Puddleglum told them as he held a hand up. More rocks were thrown. "Don't panic."

Jill and Eustace ran ahead while Puddleglum and Clara were caught by rocks.

Clara blasted some rocks with her magic, breaking them into smaller pieces.

Eustace noticed two companions were missing. He and Jill turned back as the former cried, "Puddleglum! Clara!"

They came up to where the two had been to see ruins.

Clara crawled out with minor bruising. Eustace pulled her out and hugged the shaking Queen.

"Are you all right?" Eustace asked.

"Yes, I-I think," Clara stammered. "I think I am."