𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣.

↬ 𝓈𝒾𝓉 𝒷𝑒𝓈𝒾𝒹𝑒 𝓂𝑒 ↫

↬ 𝓈𝒾𝓉 𝒷𝑒𝓈𝒾𝒹𝑒 𝓂𝑒 ↫

You were afraid of overdressing for the occasion, so you're currently standing outside Third Round Knockout in jeans and a plain black hoodie. Really, you only chose a hoodie because you realized it's snowing outside.

You glance down at the time on your phone: 6:23.

"Y/n! Hello!"

Your head snaps up and you see the four 4NEMO members approaching. You stay silent until they're in front of you, freezing up because of their presence. There's no quelling your anxieties now.

"Hi..."

Venti slides to your side and puts his arm across your shoulders, pulling you closer to him, "Don't be so nervous! It's just us! If you get too anxious, you might cause another coffee spill incident-"

Xiao abruptly punches him in the arm and pulls him out of your personal space, which you thank him for with a smile. Venti groans in pain, rubbing his arm with his opposite hand.

"Ow..."

"Uh... Let's just go inside," Aether says.

After stepping inside and getting a table, the others begin talking while you glance around the place. You used to come here a lot with your mother, though none of those meals weren't particularly enjoyable. Still, you admire how it always looks so tidy.

"Are you okay?" Xiao asks, causing your gaze to bolt over to him as he sits in front of you.

"Yeah! I'm okay."

Kazuha, who's sitting beside you, takes note of your behavior as well, "You seem very socially awkward."

"Is it seriously that obvious...?" You ask.

"Yes, it is..."

You want to let out a cry of pain as if you've been stabbed, but you suppress it. Though it does feel like you've been impaled with an ice pick. Xiao notices your furrowed eyebrows as you stare down at your lap, twiddling your thumbs. He wants to make you more comfortable, but he's unsure of what to do.

Suddenly, Venti addresses you, "So! Y/n, what do you think of Xiao?"

"Huh...?" Your head perks up at the sound of your name. "Why do you ask?"

"Just wondering~!" He sings while Aether sighs.

"Uh... He's very nice and thoughtful?" You want to say more, but that would be way too embarrassing, you wouldn't be able to take it.

"Nice? Xiao? Are you sure!?" Venti exclaims, causing Xiao to roll his eyes.

"Uh, yeah? He's nice to me, at least."

"Lucky! He bullies me all the time," Venti whines.

"Only when you act stupid," Xiao interrupts.

"That's a lie and you know it!"

You watch them bicker, feeling the discomfort pouring into you. Aether, taking note of this, shuts down their conversation.

"Okay, you guys can cut it out," he says.

You give him a nod of thanks and he smiles as the two other members quit speaking. Meanwhile, Kazuha seems deep in thought.

"What are you thinkin' about, Kazuha?" Venti asks.

"Ah, nothing. Just another poem idea."

"What is it this time?" Aether inquires.

"I don't think it's relevant right now."

You drift off into space for a minute or two before Xiao reaches across the table and taps your hand, alerting you that the waitress has arrived to take drink orders. You order your preferred beverage and listen to the others order while gazing down at the table, tapping it methodically with your index fingers. You quickly realize that you probably look like a toddler at a family gathering, so you stop and lift your head, straightening your posture.

"Y/n, can I talk to you for a minute?" Xiao suddenly requests, sliding out of the booth and standing.

Panic rises in your soul but you try your best to push it down.

"Okay," you nod.

"Ooo, what're you gonna talk about~?" Venti teases.

"Shut up," Xiao sighs as you get out of your seat.

He promptly grabs your wrist and leads you out of the restaurant, to the front of the building. You raise your eyebrows at his actions, wondering what he wants to talk with you about.

"Stop looking so worried, I'm not mad at you," he scoffs, letting go of your wrist and crossing his arms over his chest.

"Then what do you wanna talk about?"

"Is there anything I can do to make you more comfortable?"

You blink.

Huh?

"To make me more comfortable...?"

"Yes."

"Um... Sit next to me?"

"Really?"

You hastily take back your answer, "Nevermind, I probably sound like a child, you don't have to-"

"That's not what I meant," he says. "Is there seriously nothing else?"

"Oh!" You freeze up momentarily, surprised that he wouldn't be bothered by that. "I don't think so... I mean, unless they have a piano to play in there, but then I wouldn't even be at the table. No matter what, I'll feel awkward. We should probably go before they take our food orders-"

When you try to walk back inside, Xiao grabs your hand and pulls you back, letting a sigh escape his mouth. You turn your head to look back at him with a confused expression.

"What is it?" You ask.

"Y'know, you can leave if you want to," he states.

"I agreed to this in the first place, why would I back out now?" You smile.

"Because you're obviously uncomfortable."

"It's fine, don't worry," you gently tug your hand out of his grasp, immediately missing his warmth. "I know I need to start dealing with this kind of stuff... Even though you don't know me too well, it's probably pretty obvious that this has been a problem for a while."

"...Okay."

You both head inside and back to the table, where the waitress is now taking the others' orders. After you and Xiao give her your orders, you're not sure if you should attempt to sit down or keep standing. You did ask Xiao to sit beside you, but you aren't sure if he'll actually do it or not, and expecting him to would seem rude, right? Your worries quickly diminish, though.

"Kazuha, switch places with me," he demands.

Kazuha looks a bit puzzled before getting out of his seat and sitting next to Venti on the opposite side of the booth, no questions asked. Xiao takes a seat on the inside and you follow his actions, smiling to yourself.

I can't believe I'm lucky enough to be having dinner with 4NEMO... And to be sorta friends with Xiao! Acquaintances, I guess? I wonder if he'd consider us friends... Probably not.