COGS

They tend to their collection of gears, pieced delicately together to make a machine. It sits out as they tend to it, open to be viewed as part of a gallery display.

"Quite beautiful this is, you could do great things with such a machine!"

The adults compliment their machine as they walk through the gallery. They nod gratefully, accepting the compliment and turn back to their work. They are unsure what great things they are to do, but they are willing to try their very best.

With time, they develop their machine, striving for more of the gallery viewers to grant them approval. They push at the machine, trying to force it to work better than the delicate gears are able to handle.

"Such a promising device, but perhaps more could be done with it?"

They hear the comment and are determined to do better, but with each passing person it becomes more difficult to work with the gears. The once shiny metal has begun to rust together and has worn down from overuse. Where it had been swift and efficient it is now slow and barely functional.

"What a grand machine it had been, you could have done so much better with it. It's a shame to see so much potential fall flat like this."

The passers-bys drop comments as they walk by, leaving them helpless with their rusted machine, frantic to fix something that was never broken to begin with.