Chapter 13

Everything is clear to me now — why he already knew my name, why I found it familiar when I was describing his name and when he asked me if I could go to his hotel room again when I thought it was my first time.

He's probably thinking about that night everytime he gets to see me, and it this very moment, I just want to hide somewhere or run away in some place he can't spot me.

I feel so embarrassed and exposed that he got to witness how crazy I got when I wasn't sober.

And tell me about the wedding proposal. Did I really ask him if he could marry me? In a drunk state!?

I wanted to make myself believe that it wasn't real and it was just some random imagination of mine because I keep daydreaming about him. But as I recall everything that happened that night, it was too vivid and real to just be a mere dream my mind created.

"It's okay.", I was very hesitant and I don't want to be in an eye contact with him. But everything was happening too fast that I could just do whatever comes first in my mind. "If you want to keep it a secret.. it's completely safe with me."

"Oh please never tell anyone about it.", It was so shameless of me to even ask, but I have to plead for my dear life.

"I'm not planning on sharing it with anyone anyway, I only want it for myself.", And now, the teasing game starts. I knew he would just keep it between us. I can't even imagine him gossiping with other people. He just seems like the type to talk about anything but other people's life.

I gave him a sheepish smile, at this rate, I just don't know what to say anymore. I want to hide myself from him for some time, and see him again when I already have the courage to.

And I really thought I had a good first impression with him.

Thereafter, the next day came, and I don't know if I'm lucky and I should be happy that we'll tour around the city together again, or I'm unfortunate enough to be with him for the whole day after knowing that I had some worth forgettable unforgettable moment that he witnessed.

Well, he said that it was okay, I don't have to worry about anything, but we walk on different shoes, I'm sure anyone will understand the super intense embarrassment I feel once they get to experience it.

"Should we go to that food stall? They serve good food.", He suggested as he pointed a certain food serving place.

"You've been there?", I asked, with the calmest tone of voice I could. I was nervous still, the realizations just won't leave me.

It has been awhile since we started strolling around, and I really managed to face him on this day. Even though I was so close to flying back to my hometown without meeting him ever again, I managed to be where I am right now, thinking that I still want to see what romance this city could offer.

"Yeah.. I came here for the first time from about five months ago."

"I see..", I nodded my head, thrusting out my lower lip. "But.. it has been quite a long time, you can still remember how it taste? And it was your first time to add up."

"Of course.. you know that certain feeling when you can't just forget something because of how good it made you feel.. that's how I felt.. and I've been meaning to come back there ever since the day I went back here in this city."

"That's deep, but I kinda relate. I know that kind of feeling too.", I slightly chuckled as I diverted my eyes from him on to that food stall that was a few meters away from us.

"Come on. I want you to try it too.", The moment he suddenly grabbed my hand, I could almost gasp so loudly, but I was lucky enough that I still held it back even though everything that was happening was worth the exclaiming for.

He was just tightly wrapping his hand around mine as we make our way to the stall. I actually had a lot more questions to ask him just to keep the atmosphere bright, but by the sudden prolonged contact of our skins, I instantly became wordless.

I don't know why, but for a moment, I wanted the time to briefly stop just for me to jump around and squeal outloud all the voices of excitement I was preventing to come out.

"Hello ma'am! Good morning!", After we finally get to the stall, I really thought he would let go of my hand, but he didn't, and that's when my internal screaming intensified.

"Buenos días— wait.", I looked at Vernon and to the middle aged lady that was across us in the table that was selling the foods.

Vernon was looking at me with his eyebrows slightly raised, while the lady was smiling at me as if she knew what was going on. 

I was very confused why Vernon was speaking in English when as far as I remember we were still in Spain, and he seems like he is fluent at this country's language.

"Hello, young man, you finally came back.", The lady greeted.

"Yes..", Vernon shyly laughed, and it was literally adorable. And I don't know why I'm praising him like this when we still don't know each other entirely yet.

"And to you too, young lady.. would you mind if I ask if she's..?", The lady tend her eyes to Vernon as she questioned. She had this somewhat expectant smile.

"Yes. She's my wife."

I was about to nod because at the back of my head, I was expecting to hear from him that I'm his friend or something like that.. but my eyes widened as I looked at him. I heard him clearly, but I was still doubting myself if I really heard him say that I'm his wife.

"You really did own up to your words and brought your wife here."

"Yes. I really want her to try your goods too."

They're conversation escalated like that as if it was so usual. I can't even bring myself to ask him why he introduced me like that because the lady was so sweet and she seemed so genuinely happy knowing that I'm Vernon's wife.

I proposed to him that night, but I didn't know what his answer was, did he agree now that he's telling that lady that I'm his wife? I didn't even know he would take it this seriously because he didn't even appear like he was joking when he was saying that I'm his wife.

I asked him to marry me, and I wasn't even sober when I did. We didn't get married or such, no nothing. But as he told that lady, I'm his wife.

"You were confused earlier why she was speaking in our language, right?", That's not even important to me anymore, I'm way more confused on what he told that lady about what we are. "You had the exact same facial expression that day when I asked if I could sit with you." He snickered, the teasing kind one.

It hasn't been awhile since we started sitting at one of the tables here in the food stall, and by that, the mystery behind that thing he said is still a mystery.

"She's not from here too, she started living here after she married his husband that lives here. She's really kind, and even though it's my just my second time here, she still remembers me."

I nodded. "Oh.. that explains why.. and, yeah, she's really sweet. It seems like she really knows you for a long time."

I badly wanted to bring up what I've been meaning to ask him, but I couldn't, there was something inside me that was holding me back.

And now that I've come to think of it, it has been five months since the first time he came here, we haven't met then and it hasn't even been half a month ever since we knew each other, but why did that lady expected Vernon to come back with his wife?

Vernon hasn't told me about him having a wife nor any romantic relationship to anyone, so it's safe to say that he's single and I'm not some sort a she-devil that steals others' guy.

I don't know whatever happened to him, I don't have any idea how his life is entirely, but I can't just carelessly ask him those private things.

And were just tour buddies, I still don't have any right and place to ask him such private questions.