Part 1- A Tale of Two Sisters

-THIS IS THE LONGEST PART OF MY STORY!!- I have also made a glossary for all the 1970's terms at the end of each section, in case you don't understand something :)

October 1978

Sara

      It's not easy being the twin sister of a *rumored* slut. In fact, people always assume that I'm one too just because we look alike. This happens all the time at school-an older boy (usually a senior) brushes up next to you in the hall, smirking with come hither eyes, trying to get you to go on a date. I'm not saying I'm much to look at, and I know plenty of sophomores who would die if Luke Brown glanced at them, but in reality, it's just embarrassing. Especially when my parents have no idea what Emily does when she sneaks out. I don't even know.

    It's Sunday, around midnight. Though I don't want to, I force myself to open my eyes and watch as my sister rummages through our closet. The light is so bright it practically blinds me. "God, Emily!" I hiss. "Where are you going now?" She ignores me and keeps digging.

   "Emily!" I try again. Nothing-at least, not until she's ready to talk to me. This is how most of our conversations go at 12am.

"There's a party in the woods, behind the bowling alley, OK? Tommy's waiting for me." Emily whispers.

   I roll my eyes. Tommy. Tommy Marsalle, our grade's most popular bad boy. He smokes, drinks, hangs out with the upperclassmen and rarely shows up to class. Everyone loves him, but only because he looks a little like James Dean. "Not again, are you? You saw him yesterday, and snuck out almost every day last week too. Can't you give it a rest?" I'm not saying my sister is having sex, but I can only imagine what those two do together. They aren't talking about current events, that's for sure.

   Emily steps over  to my side of the room, hands on hips, giving me a pity-smile. "Sara relax. It's a party- I'm going to have fun! If you had a boyfriend, you'd understand. I gotta look just right for him." She then proceeds to crack open the window (our bedroom is on the first floor) and slip into the night. It'll be more than 7 hours before I know if she makes it home alright.

    The next morning  I stall as much as I can before heading into the kitchen. It's already 7:15-school starts in 25 minutes and my sister is nowhere to be found. Dad is sitting in his usual spot, reading the newspaper and eating pancakes. Small brown beads of syrup drip onto his blue mechanic's uniform. My 6-year old sister, Geenie, sits beside him. "Morning Em" Dad says, not bothering to look up from his paper.

  "Dad, I'm Sara." I correct him. He looks over my head and shouts "Emily get your butt in here! You're gonna be late!" No reply. Just then Mom walks down the stairs, fixing her hair. She stops directly in front of our room. "Emily not up yet?" she asks Dad. He shrugs. "That girl is always late. Sara, you need to eat." I do as I'm told and grab 2 pancakes, not taking my eye off the door. If Emily gets in trouble, it would actually be the first time since 8th grade. Our parents are clueless.

    "She's getting dressed" I lie between mouth fulls of food. I look up at Mom, waiting to see if she bought it. "I'll check anyway" she replies. My heart was beating as she  slowly turned the doorknob. To my amazement, Emily was standing right there, in the skimpiest outfit I had ever seen.

   "Emmy, your boobies are all pushed up!" Geenie giggles. Dad is horrified, and I don't blame him- Daisy Duke shorts, a bright pink tube top, and sky high wedges. She looked like Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver. Mom is speechless.

   "Diane, how could you let our daughter dress like that?" Dad spat, getting his coat on. "She looks like a stripper!" Mom frowns. "You know I would never allow them to wear something like this Jack. Don't blame me!" Exasperated, Mom grabbed Geenie and headed for the door, as did Dad. "I'll be home by 3. Lock the door before you leave, and for God's sake, Emily, change your clothes!" Dad soon followed, muttering under his breath.