Part 2- The Secret's Out

December 1978

Emily

   I can't remember the last time I showed up to first period. When I walk to my seat I keep my head down, but I can feel eyes burning into the back of my head. Though I don't hear any whispers, I know things are being said. I realized that I have made fun of almost every girl in this room, except for Heather. There's ClaireTrewman, who smells like a farm, and Lori Crypton who I told looked like a fat version of Sandy from Grease. I can't believe I was so mean, but in a way it really wasn't my fault. Both have said mean things about Sara behind her back, and I felt I was protecting her. Of course, this wouldn't be necessary anymore.

"Psst" I hear. "Emily!" I turn around and spot Heather. I break out into a smile, knowing that at least one of my friends came to school today. "Hey!"

"How are you feeling?" she asks, eyeing my stomach. I immediately cover it with my books. "Never mind about me" I say hurriedly. "What about you? Did your parents flip?"

Heather nodded. "They grounded me, so I couldn't call you. My Dad said I would be going to school and then home for the rest of the month. God, he is so unfair!"

By now we're getting dirty looks from the rest of the study hall students. I ignored them. I started to fiddle with my bracelets. "H-have you seen Tommy yet?" I had to ask. Heather's eyes got wide. "You mean you haven't seen him yet? At all?" I shook my head.

"My Dad forbid me from seeing him, Heather. I don't know when we'll get time alone to talk about-you know." She leaned forward in her seat, getting real close to my ear. "I haven't seen him since the party, but I heard he had a huge shiner on his left eye. I think his dad gave it to him."

I pulled away from her when I heard this. Poor Tommy- I wasn't even there to comfort him. More importantly, I didn't think he had a dad. I mean, not one like that.

By the end of the day, I still hadn't spoken to Tommy. He didn't show up at school (figures) and I would never be alone to call him. Plus, I was being picked up by Mom everyday so meeting after school wasn't an option. On the bright side, though, I only threw up once today.

I was at my locker getting ready to leave when Carri Popwell ran up to me. "Is it true?" she panted. I just looked at her. Carri is the type of girl who's always on the brink of popularity, but then goes and does something stupid to mess it up.

I stared at her. "What?"

"You know! Is IT true?" she repeated, her pug nose turned more upwards than usual. "With you and Tommy?"

I stared at her like she was speaking another language. "What are you talking about, Popwell?" As soon as she got that I had no idea what she meant, her face changed completely. She knew something that I didn't even know, and it was killing me.

"Well," she began slyly. "I heard from someone in the girl's bathroom that YOU are pregnant with Tommy's baby." My heart sank. Everything around me became black, and I started to panic. Without thinking I slammed my locker shut and started to walk away.

"I need to know if it's true!" I heard Carri shout behind me. "Everyone's been talking about it!"

When I finally got outside I saw Mom waiting in the car for me. Geenie was sitting in the front seat. When she saw me, she waved. I immediately started crying. I once heard that any publicity was good publicity, but I never wanted to be talked about like this. "There's no use crying, Emily. I'm still going to pick you up everyday" Mom retorts.

Once everyone was asleep that night, I crept into the kitchen to use the phone. I didn't want Tommy hearing the news from anyone but me. The phone seemed to ring forever before I heard a gruff voice on the other end.