✩ 1 ✩

I clicked my tongue, rubbing my face with my hand in annoyance. Not only it had gotten dark whilst I studied in the library, but it also had started to downpour hard. Surprisingly, I didn't even notice as I was too much focused on the piling books I had to revise and notes I had to take. Initially, I had thought of staying a little longer, getting some more work done so that hopefully the rain would transform into a flimsy drizzle. But if I were to read anything else my mind would literally erupt on fire. After all, I had been in the library for 7 hours in a row, only stopping to grab a coffee and rest for a few minutes. So of course, the exhaustion and hunger were beginning to rub on me as it was now 11pm.

I whined a little more, standing under the small rooftop of the entrance to the library, and just decided to get it over with and leave even if the way home was somewhat long and the last bus was long gone. I put on my hood, although I knew it would soon get completely soaked, and prayed that my books wouldn't get much ruined as I started to walk quickly under the rain. At least the sounds of it were somewhat relaxing. And so were the ones of the few cars that passed me by, the sound of their tires against the wet road as their car lights made an also beautiful image against the soaked pavement. Truly entrancing, so much that I had stopped minding the rain long ago. And so much in fact, that I almost missed the corpse in an alley I passed by.

Normally, I would just continue walking if I saw anything that I deemed dangerous. Like for example people arguing or fighting. But for some reason, maybe the fact that he seemed very hurt, or maybe the downpour that was falling; whatever the reason, I just couldn't help but step into the alley. After all, this person was completely alone and it didn't seem like there was anyone close anymore.

When I got closer I could see the man better, he was laying on his stomach, shivering while laying over a puddle of blood that seemed bigger probably due to the water. It was then that I completely made my choice of trying to help this man because I knew for a fact that if I didn't he would most likely die from his wounds. And as much as I would like to get home and avoid any danger that could still linger around the victim, I knew I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing that I left a man die alone in an alley and in the middle of a storm.

When I reached the level of this man I confirmed that luckily he was alive and that he wouldn't be aggressive, not in his state at least. So feeling slightly relieved I crouched down to turn him around and inspect his wounds or where the blood was coming from. He seemed to react a little when the rain started to hit his face, but he also seemed too much in pain and dizzy to do anything else. I got my backpack and searched for a small med kit I got used to bringing with me everywhere after spending some time with the Toman back in High School. I grabbed a painkiller and pushed it into his mouth, and although he swallowed it he became slightly more conscious, finally realizing he wasn't alone.

"You're very hurt, don't move" I said so that he didn't alarm much. I then lifted his shirt that was soaked both from the rain and his blood, staining it in a dark crimson red. Immediately, I saw the two sources of blood: two stab wounds that continued to leak blood quickly thanks to the downpour. I gently touched around them, not too much so that I didn't get them infected, but only to confirm my suspicions about him having a few broken ribs as well.

I got a small bottle of rubbing alcohol from the med kit and a piece of a bandage to disinfect it but the merciless raindrops falling onto his drowsy body made the wound continue bleeding. So I decided to just wrap him with the bandages as tightly as I could so that luckily it could make the bleeding stop. But of course, the bandages got soaked soon as well.

"I need to take you to the hospital" I said, looking at the man who had his lids closed and auburn hair damp and stuck to his forehead. I took my phone out and started to dial the emergency number, but my phone was weakly taken away from me.