fear me, mourn me

Zinnia -
Thoughts of a absent friends

"Bye Daddy! Bye Papa! Bye Ma! Bye Pa!", Jack listed off his guardians, waving excitedly as they one by one filed into the Citroën Berlingo parked in the driveway.

The Eternal sitting inside returned the gesture, his husband too busy to notice as he seemed to be talking to his mother in the backseat.

Makkari smiled. A few days ago said member of their family had called them to ask for a favor, of course none they could refuse. It was his and Ben's sixth wedding anniversary and they needed a babysitter, for two reasons in particular.

One, Jack had school early tomorrow, meaning staying up past 10pm was out. Second, the technopaths parents in law were coming with them for dinner, meaning they were out aswell. So, Druig and Makkari it was.

(While Thena, Gilgamesh and Sprite were in the US aswell, none of them seemed fit for the job. Mainly due to their occupations, the former two having their own little grocer to manage and Sprite having to adjust to high school.)

Under their watchful eyes the Berlingo reversed, pulled out of the driveway and was soon out of sight.

As soon as there was no more trace of it, Jack leapt from the window sill and made his way towards the living room. Specifically, the couch in front of the fairly large TV.

"Play with me! Pretty please!", he shouted at the two Eternals.

"What'd he say?", Makkari questioned Druig who repeated what the boy had asked them so eagerly. She looked ecstatic, very quickly making her way over and plopping down next to Jack. The mind controller followed suit.
Well, you could certainly color him intrigued.

"What did you have in mind?", he asked and signed simultaneously. It didn't seem possible, but the child's face lit up even more. His smile was blinding.

_______________________________________

They'd played Mario Kart. Though neither of the immortals had played it before, they'd gotten the hang of it quite quickly.

To no one's surprise, Makkari wasn't only the fastest woman in the universe, but also while playing Wii.

She'd been too busy absolutely destroying friend and foe alike to sign to them, but the gleefull expression on her face clearly had said Eat my dust, dorks!

Druig smiled. She was always most beautiful when she was happy.

Meanwhile, Jack was jumping on the bad, idly babbling about how he'd almost won the second last race, the one where he'd played as some little mushroom.

The mind controllers gaze fell on the Mickey Mouse clock right over his nephews headboard. 7:54 pm. Time for bed.

"Alright Jack, time for bed!", Druig spoke out loud, grabbing the boy mid-jump. He howled with laughter as he tried to wiggle out of the Eternals grasp, yet his attempts of escape remained fruitless.

With minimal effort Jack was transported into the bathroom where he brushed his teeth; of course, under carefull evaluation of the ages old beings. It wouldn't do anyone's reputation good if Phastos' boy developed karies under their supervision.

He was in bed not even ten minutes later, now clad in some fairly adorable dinosaur pajamas.

"So, little man!", Makkari signed, Druig translating for her. The boy giggled. "Ready for bed, are we?"

Without much hesitation the mind controller sat down next to them, on the ground close to his nephews headrest. Jack turned to his guardians, smiling.

"Did you have a nice day?"

The boys grin morphed into a simple smile, his happiness still well visible in deep brown eyes. He nodded.

"Playing Mario Kart was fun!", he whispered. Oh, okay, they were whispering now. Druig smiled.

"We had fun too, little- big man!", the mind controller corrected himself after Makkaris interjection. Apparently, however, that wasn't the right thing to say, given how his smile faltered.

From outside, the dim light of the street lamps peered through the blinds, illuminating what couldn't be reached by the IKEA lamp on the boys night stand. Occasionally cars were driving by, but none the familiar hum of the family Citroën.

Makkari frowned, mirroring Druigs expression.

"What is it Jack? Do you need anything?"

A whisper.

"I'm sorry?"

The boy sniffled and rubbed his hand over his eyes. Oh. Oh no, this was bad.

Druig grimaced, turning to his fellow Eternal. What do I do?, he signed frantically. Makkari seemed just as lost as him. Maybe... maybe try telling Jack we're here for him?, she tried.

Yeah, good idea.

"We're here for you Jack, you know? You don't need to tell us, but if you want to, we'll listen and help you as much as we can."

It was a promise. One didn't deal lightly with those, especially if the person giving it was an Eternal. Immortal life brought a certain responsibility, after all.

Jack's brows furrowed, and he sniffled. He seemed to be thinking hard.

"Where did... where did Uncle Ikaris go?"