Chapter Twenty-Eight

JJ left Everleigh once they made it back to the cut. He told her he had business to take care of, but didn't specify what business.

She walked to The Wreck to meet up with Sarah, John B, Kie, and Pope.

"Look, he'll come around, all right? It's... He's doing a JJ thing." John B suggests.

"You think he'll go home?" Kiara asks.

Everleigh shakes her head.

"There's about a zero percent chance that JJ goes home." Pope answers.

They talk for a little while.

"It's too dangerous to pawn this thing off piecemeal.
So our best bet is to go down there and get the rest of it.Bring it all up at once. Put it in... in a safe or a vault or something. I... I don't know. Just until we can find someone who won't rip us off." John B says.

"I can figure it out tonight, get it done, and we can be out there tomorrow morning." Pope smiles.

"All right, let's do it. Easy." John B smiles back. "Let's go."

"What about that thing with my dad?" Sarah's asks.

"Uhm... what?" Everleigh says, furrowing her brows.

"Shit." John B mumbles.

"What thing?" Kiara asks.

"I have to go fishing with Ward." John B says, pulling his lips into a line.

"You can't get 400 mil 'cause you're gonna go kill fish?" Kiara cringes, raising her brow.

"Look, I have to go." John B says, shaking his head.

"Blow it off." Pope suggests.

"It's 400 million in gold!" Everleigh says, throwing her arms in the air.

"Make something up!" Kiara says, shaking her head.

"Look, I... I have to, okay? He... he saved me, all right. If it weren't for Ward, I'd be in foster care.
So... I have to go. Plus, it'll be better to do it at night.
Right?" John B says, looking at the group.

"Should've just done what I did, say no." Everleigh murmurs.

"You didn't even say no..." John B scoffs, "You just ran."

"Exactly." Everleigh replies, shrugging her shoulders.

"Fine. Fine, go fishing. And at least JJ will probably have washed up by then." Kiara rolls her eyes.

Later on, Kiara decided to go home to her parents for a while as well as Pope.

Sarah, John B, and Everleigh decided to go for a ride.

"So, Everleigh." Sarah starts.

Everleigh snaps out of her daydream, thinking about JJ. "What's up?"

"What was Barry talking about." Sarah questions.

Everleigh looks at Sarah confused, "I don't know what you mean."

John B scoffs, "Cut the bullshit, Ev. What did Barry mean by a make out session with Rafe?"

"Oh." Everleigh falls quiet. "It wasn't on purpose."

"How do you kiss someone by accident?" Sarah asks.

"Fine, if you really must know." Everleigh sighs, "I followed JJ at midsummers, and when I tried to stop Rafe from punching JJ, he turned around and pinned me to the wall, and kissed me." Everleigh's eyes tear up at the memory.