Chapter 4

I do not own this picture

started 11 22 21

Padgert came with her assistants and collected both I and Camden. However, instead of the usual carriage that was used to take the to tributes off to the station for the train was now a fancy black car with flags and emblems of the Capitol. I sat down and scooted in so that Camden could take the seat next to me while Padgert and the others filed into the car ahead of ours.  The ride was deafening, neither Camden nor I said a word as we drove so I focused on the things around me.  Even if for a moment to take my mind off of the dangers I faced.  So I let my fingers brush against the cold, hard leather or the seat beneath me or the black interior of the car that made it seem more like a hearse then a town car.  Or seeing the scenery out the window.  The wide open field of wheat and grain blowing in the wind, like a sea of gold that stretched out for miles. It was so beautiful yet haunting to see such a sight.  I immediately felt intense pressure. The second this car drove us to the station it was on, The Hunger Games were in full gear. While I sat quietly staring out at the vast fields surrounding us on either side, Camden was resting his head on the window with his eyes closed.  I didn't know if he was resting or praying but either way I hoped he was okay even if for a moment.

We pulled up to the train station with the Capitol's train already fired up and ready to go. Already out of their cars and standing at the platform were the mayor, his wife, Fennel and Padgert. One of her entourage came up to the car and opened the door waiting for the two of us to exit.  Camden got out with me following behind closely but I took a deep breath before exiting. The crisp cool wind brushed against my cheeks, I turned back to get one last look at my home before shaking both the mayor's and his wife's hand and boarding the train.

"Well that was quite the eventful Reaping, now wasn't it?" Padgert said practically beaming while Camden, Fennel and I all took seats in the main car. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at her display. A man and child nearly died, and we were on our way to face certain death. Yes, eventful indeed. "That should be good for ratings and sponsorship."

I furrowed my brow at the mention of sponsors, I never knew of such a thing. "Sponsors? Ratings?"

"Oh yes! The better a tribute performs in the Reaping, opening ceremonies, interviews and training sessions the more likely highly ranked Capitol citizens and officials will pay to give said tributes weapons, food, medicine you name it. Whatever they could possibly need to finish the games victorious."

"And the ratings?" I asked

"Yes, in previous years they more or less taped the Hunger Games and recapped them throughout the district via the Capitol but now they are taping them and showing them throughout all the districts at the end of every day. So that all districts can cheer on their favorite tributes," Padgert took a seat in one of the lavish chairs sitting in front of a table adorned with a multitude of platters filled with so much food. From puddings, to stews of every kind, some I'd never even known or heard of. She picked up a green shiny apple and took a bite. "Mainly they focus on their Capitol citizens but some thought that it would help for those to see their tributes and see how far they get in the games."

"More like remind them that even the innocent can be turned to savage killers if given the chance." I mumbled under my breath. From the look on his face the only one who heard me was Camden. But it was true, the games were a way to show all twelve districts that the Capitol was in control no matter what and that the end of the day they could steal our innocent children and turn them into killers stomping out their childhood and dignity all in one go, so that at the end of the day we knew our place and just how damaged we were. It was absolutely abhorrent.

"Hmm?"

"Nothing. So what's with all the feast?" This time Camden finally spoke up. I followed him over to the table and helped myself to a small tart pie of some sort with wildberries and topped with a rich whip creme. Camden grabbed a plate and piled it with bread, steamed broccoli, and a steak dripping with onion and gravy.