Late Nights

A fluffy litte fic (:

**********************
Amelia had just gotten off her evening flight to Minnesota. Kai came to pick her up from the airport, as they usually did.

Amelia walked off the plane with a yawn. Scout has been teething lately, which means he is awake all night crying. Which means no sleep for Amelia. She walked over to baggage claim where Kai was standing and quickened her pace to get over to them. Amelia had been in Seattle for a week, which felt like forever for the couple. She ran into Kai's arms, hugging their waist as tight as she possibly could and laying her head on their shoulder.

"Hi, my love," Kai said, holding Amelia close to them and stroking her hair with one of their hands. The two hugged for a long time. Long distance is hard on both of them, but moments like this made it all worth it.

They pulled apart from their hug after a few minutes, but only for a second because Kai cupped Amelia's cheek in their hand and kissed her passionately. Amelia smiled into the kiss and deepened it before pulling away.

"Hi. I missed you," Amelia said, smiling at them. Kai smiled back at her and kissed her on the cheek before grabbing Amelia's suitcase from the conveyor belt. Kai held out their hand and Amelia took it of course, linking her fingers with theirs. Amelia reached for her suitcase, but Kai rolled it away from her.

"I got it, love," they said, smirking at her. The two started walking to Kai's car, hand in hand. Kai updated her on what they worked on in the lab today and what they would be working on tomorrow.

As Kai drove to their apartment, they held hands with Amelia over the center console.

"Are you hungry, babe?" Kai asked as they passed some restaurants on the way to the apartment.

"Oh god yes, can we get pizza? Pretty please?" Amelia said, giving Kai her puppy dog eyes. Kai laughed and shook their head, their girlfriend was the cutest.

"You know I can't say no to you," Kai said, pulling into the parking lot of the pizza place.

The two were able to take home a pizza right before the restaurant closed. They headed to Kai's apartment and brought their pizza to the couch, turning the TV to their favorite channel to watch together, HGTV. Amelia rested her feet over Kai's lap, using her own lap as a table for her plate. Kai used Amelia's legs as a table for their plate, and the two ate their late dinner.

Once the pizza was gone, Amelia grabbed a blanket and cuddled up next to Kai, lying her head on their shoulder. Kai smiled and wrapped their arms around her, hugging her as close to them as possible. Amelia was quickly beginning to feel how tired she was, and she began to doze off.

"You can head to bed if you want, Amelia. I know you're tired," Kai said softly, sensing that she was starting to fall asleep on them.

"No it's okay, it's comfy enough here. Just wake me when you want to go to bed," Amelia mumbled, snuggling herself further into them, her head now tucked in the crook of their neck. Once again, they couldn't say no to her.

"Okay," Kai said, pressing a kiss onto the top of her head and placing a hand in her hair. They heard Amelia's breathing even out within minutes.

Kai sat there on their couch with Amelia asleep in their arms, looking at the TV. Although their mind was on everything but the TV. All they could think about was how much they cared for the woman lying in their arms. They never expected to fall for the fancy neurosurgeon assisting in the Parkinson's study, but they did and they couldn't be happier about it.

Around an hour later, Kai decided it was time they should head to bed. They had to be back at the lab in the morning. They looked down at their girlfriend fast asleep on their chest and smiled. They tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and stroked her cheek with their finger.

"Amelia, wake up sweetheart," Kai whispered softly, still smiling at her. Amelia didn't move a muscle, and Kai decided they didn't have the heart to wake her. They lifted her onto their lap before standing up with her in their arms, carrying her into their bedroom and laying her on the bed.

Kai changed into their pajamas and joined Amelia in bed. They laid down behind her, wrapped an arm around her waist and kissed the back of her head. Amelia stirred and turned around in bed to face Kai.

"So now you decide to wake up, after I carried you to bed," Kai joked, smirking at her in the dark. Amelia giggled quietly, giving them a few sleepy kisses.

"I actually started to wake up while you were carrying me," Amelia said, trying to hold in another giggle. Kai shook their head and laughed, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear as she yawned. They pulled her to lie her head on their chest and pressed a kiss to her temple.

"Goodnight, my love," Kai said, still smiling wide at her.

"Goodnight, Kai," Amelia said, leaving a few kisses on their neck before closing her eyes and falling asleep in their arms.

A/N:
thank you for reading!! i haven't written in SOOOO LONG so this probably isn't my best work but i thought this would be a good way to get back into things! leave ideas for kaimelia oneshots in the comments (:

also- if i made any mistakes with pronouns, PLEASE let me know and i'll fix it ASAP!!!