Chapter 5 {Beginning of Ostrogoths Campaign}

It was the next day, and the nobles have returned to their home, same as the citizens outside. But a big day for the army has just begin.

{Location: The Great Palace of Constantinople}

Inside the Paxley siblings room, everyone has waked up from a good sleep.

Aamon: Alright you two, did you guys enjoy yesterday?

Gusion: Of course we enjoyed.

Aaglet: Yeah, good to have a celebration sometimes. Anyway, our next campaign is the Ostrogoths right?

Aamon: You two are not tasked for that. From what I know His Majesty wanted to see you two later for your task.

Gusion: What about you?

Aamon: I'm tasked to assist Belisarius in the Ostrogoths campaign. You two, don't be naughty while I'm away, understand?

Aaglet: Don't worry brother. I'll take care of Gusion.

Gusion: I'm not a kid anymore!

Aaglet: I'm older than you, so it's my responsibility.

Aamon: Good, because that's what I'm hoping. Hurry up take a bath and go downstairs. John the others for breakfast. I may not made it, I'm in a hurry today.

Aaglet: Wait a minute, you mean you are leaving today?

Aamon: Yes. That's right. Lancelot will also follow me. Enough talking, hurry up and do what you supposed to do.

And Aamon went out of the room for his preparation for leaving and the other two remain inside the room to fix their bed and later went outside aswell. After they get out of the room they went downstairs to the dinner room to join the others. The Emperor is absence because of the Ostrogoths campaign. Therefore leaving the Empress alone in the palace.

Gusion: Where is His Majesty?

Flavius: Ohh, you two are here. His Majesty himself will join the war. The Empress will give you two a task. Go and meet the Empress later.

Aaglet: Arhh... I shouldn't joined the army. It's soo difficult.

Gusion: Relax, urghhh... Nevermind, it's frustrating.

Aaglet: Where is Aamon?

Flavius: They already leaved just a moment ago. Don't think about it too much, for now just sit down and eat your meal.

Gusion: Yeah, okay.

Meanwhile, Aamon and the others are on the way to the Ostrogoths border. But since they will not arrive in time for today, they decided to prepare camps later.

Justinian I: Vanguard, report!

A Roman officer come towards the Emperor.

Officer: Nothing unusual for now, Your Majesty. The road ahead is safe.

Justinian I: What do you two think? Should we continue or prepare the camps ahead?

Belisarius: I suggest we take a rest later, Your Majesty.

Aamon: Good idea, we'll prepare the camps ahead.

Justinian I: Then it's decided, we'll take a rest ahead later. Officer, set a perimeter ahead while we prepare the camps.

Officer: Yes Your Majesty.

Justinian I: Good, now return to the frontline.

The officer then returns to the frontline position.

Belisarius: Say, what do you see in your younger brothers and sisters, Aamon?

Aamon: I never told him this, but I do see a bright future in Gusion.

Belisarius: Good to hear that. How about the others?

Aamon: I'm not sure about the others. How about you?

Belisarius: I have no sisters nor brothers. I was born in a poor family.

Aamon: Being alone is good ehh?

Belisarius: Being alone doesn't make it good at all. Sometimes there is a problem that you can't solve until the time you grow up.

Aamon: I don't understand what are you trying to say.

Belisarius: Nevermind, forget it.

Back to the palace...

{Location: The Great Palace of Constantinople}

Gusion and Aaglet went to see the Empress.

Gusion: Your Majesty?

Aaglet: Do you have a task for both of us?

Theodora: Ohh, it's you two. And yes, I have a task for you two. I want you two to go to peninsula and patrol the border.

Gusion: That's it? How if we found threats?

Theodora: Do not engage. The legion I give both of you in command is not enough to face the threats. Plus they are all raw. Most of the veteran legions are on the way to the Ostrogoths's border. Just go back here and inform the others for reinforcements.

Aaglet: Understood, Your Majesty.

Theodora: Good, now I suggest you two to go now. The more early it is, the better.

And the two leave the Empress's throne and went outside for preparation.

Gusion: I can't believe that we are only tasked for that. I was expecting something more fun and dangerous.

Aaglet: Be careful with what you wish for.

Gusion: You know what, I don't care. I'll follow my own choice.

Aaglet: Don't act rashly Gusion. Think about it again.

And suddenly someone interrupted the two's conversation.

???: Excuse me.

Gusion: Hmm? What is it? Wait, who are you?

???: My name is Gaius Aemilius Quintus. One of the Praetorian Guards commander. I'm here to inform you two that the Empress changed her mind. You two can take a rest for now. Some veterans will take over the task instead.

Gusion: Well, at least we can get some rest.

Aaglet: Okay, sir.

Quintus: That's all. Have a good day.

Quintus then walks away.

Aaglet: Damn, the lady didn't give me her home address. Now I wish to see her.

Gusion: Poor you... I have somewhere to go. I'll see you later brother. And good luck on finding the lady's house.

And Gusion left Aaglet alone.

Aaglet: *Sigh* Now where should I start?

{Timeskip, Gusion riding a horse to the House of Vance}

Gusion want to go to the House of Vance to meet Lesley, since Lesley give her house address to Gusion yesterday.

Gusion: ...

After half an hour riding, he finally arrived.

{Location: House of Vance, Constantinople}

Gusion: So, this is her house. It's pretty huge.

Gusion get down off his horse and walked to the door then proceed to knock it.

Gusion: *Knocks* Hello? Anybody home?

Inside the house...

Harley: Hey sis, somebody is outside.

Lesley: Let me take a look.

Lesley walk towards the door and opened it.

Lesley: Ohh, it's you... W-What are you doing here?

Gusion: Just wanted to visit you. I have been given permission to take a rest. Anyway can I went inside?

Lesley: S-Sure... Come on in.

Gusion: Thank you.

{End of Chapter 5}