nine - recovery

"They all hate you now, you know."

His mother paced the room, her flawless face furrowed with hatred.

"Are you an idiot? A hundred bandits?"

He had gotten scratches along his hands. They were bandaged up.

"On top of failing to kill Roman, you couldn't even protect the Aedile brat as planned!"

She gnawed furiously on a fingernail. His face was downcast, dark.

"You tell me to trust you to secure the crown, but you can't even do something this simple." She swept a vase to the ground. It shattered into shards at her feet.

He hated her. He hated her with every drop of blood in his body, with every fiber of his being.

"Don't worry about it." His smile was on, as calm and pleasant as ever. "There's always some things that don't go as planned, but I have other weapons hidden up my sleeve." She stopped long enough to look at him, holding another pot.

How dare she act as if his success was chalked up to her. How dare she act as if she had claim on his throne. Once he succeeded his father, the first thing he planned to do was hang her up and lock her away. No use keeping something the Emperor found distasteful.

"The flower of Aedile," Ieuan smiled. "The most precious jewel of all."

Thankfully, my shop had open rooms.

It was originally designed to have a home apartment above the offices, but because I lived with my family, the apartment was unused.

Roman nearly collapsed onto the sheets. I waved forward several maids, who worked to take off his coat, boots, uniform, and sword belt. When they touched the hilt of his blade, he grabbed it, startling them.

I wasn't surprised that they were scared of him. Although handsome and popular in his own right, Roman was known as cold, cruel, and distant. His resting expression made people wary, and his aura triggered their instinct to run. Most importantly, his presence as a killer was unmistakable. Even from afar, you could see that this wasn't his first time being drenched in blood.

Well, whatever.

I grabbed his sword belt and threw it to the side. He glanced at me, looking hurt.

"You guys go give him a bath." I waved on more of the maids, and then smiled at Roman. "No use resisting, okay? These ladies are experienced." I jerked my head in warning to the maids. "Don't do anything weird." After all, he was handsome.

"Do you think I'm attractive enough to tempt your loyal maids?" Roman smiled.

"I think you should be more worried for yourself." I replied as the servants grabbed him and tossed him into the bath.

Thirty minutes later, he was clean. His once smudgy skin was so clean he looked almost sick. And when I drew closer, he smelled like a bouquet of roses.

"Aren't I your benefactor?" Roman sighed. "How could you torture me like this?" Even his nails had been trimmed. They really worked at him.

"Yes, yes you are." There was a doctor waiting to treat him, and after another half hour, he was bandaged up. Luckily, Roman wasn't too hurt apart for some scratches and bruises.

"Drink this." I pushed a porcelain bowl into his hands, and when he looked at me pleadingly, I began to force feed it to him myself. "It's medicine. It'll help you heal and sleep."

Roman squinted, trying to spit it out. I began battling his tongue with my spoon.

Eventually, I overpowered him and forced enough of it down his throat to the point that he became drowsy.